Wall display panels for moulding chevrons

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
TinaB
Organisation: Tina Bailey Framing
Interests: Photography, theatre, dancing, reading.

Wall display panels for moulding chevrons

Post by TinaB »

Morning all, I hope you are keeping well and busy.

I am looking to buy some wall mounted panels to display my moulding chevrons (for Velcro - like the displays you see at the framing suppliers). Can anyone tell me where I can buy these? All I have been able to find are the carousels and panels which are mounted within a framework.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Many thanks,

Tina
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Re: Wall display panels for moulding chevrons

Post by ChrisG »

You can make them yourself: batten the wall, screw and countersink 9mm MDF sheet, cover with self adhesive brushed nylon available from Arqadia, Wessex, or I used http://www.abmshop.co.uk/velcro-friendl ... al-9-c.asp

Hope that helps.
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

Why not cut some MDF panels to the size required and cover them in Velcro receptive fabric? The fabric is available from most main suppliers - Arqadia do one with a self adhesive backing.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Otters Pool Studio
Organisation: Otters Pool Studio
Interests: Hobbies?

Post by Otters Pool Studio »

The self adhesive Velcro cloth from Arqadia is pretty tricky to apply (don't whatever you do allow the sticky backing to stick to itself!) but once you've got the hang of it make light work of covering panels. We did it in our showroom then framed each panel in a chunky black box frame with the panel set back using black spacers. It really sets off the chevrons, you can make them to any size to fit your space, and makes it easy to group chevrons into sets.
DSCF4063.JPG
DSCF4063.JPG (108.97 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
Jon.
Otters Pool Studio
prospero

Post by prospero »

I used to have lots of display panels, but when I moved shop I had another idea... A strip of timber 1" x 1/4" fixed to the wall. Run a strip of velcro tape (loop) down it. OK, you don't get a choice of background - just the wall. But all you chevrons will hang in a neat line.

The panels are easy to make though. Get the fabric that isn't foam backed. I did mine with HD carpet tape, covering a board with strips and peeling them one at a time. With wet adhesive you risk bleed-though or getting it on the face of the fabric. The tape adhesive is very agressive and very long-lived. I still have a panel I did nigh-on 30 years ago and it's still stuck fast. And it's stored in an unheated shed. All you need do after that is put a little frame around.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
TinaB
Organisation: Tina Bailey Framing
Interests: Photography, theatre, dancing, reading.

Post by TinaB »

Thanks so much all for your great feedback and suggestions. I will definitely be making them myself!

I think the black moulding sounds nice. What other mouldings have people used to frame the display panels?

Many thanks again. You are all too good! :D