desperate cry for help

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Twosoc
Organisation: none
Interests: framing

desperate cry for help

Post by Twosoc »

Hi, I hope you guys don't mind me bugging you on here but I'm a in a bit of a pickle and thought I'd ask the experts. We've been asked to clean out the unit opposite ours after the previous occupant ( a carpenter and framer) did a runner and left it in a bit of a state.
Having combed through 5000 litres of chippings and sawdust (not an exaggeration, we filled five big red biffa bins) we're left with a few things that are completely out of our knowledge frame.

Now my question is whats the best way to sell the remaining items that are too good to throw away?

For example theres a cassese underpinner with staple thingy's, what we think is a steff spindle moulder power feed and cutting heads (is that what they're called? they look like little plane blades mounted in a ring), a floor mounted morticing machine and a few hundred mouldings of different types and materials. Some of them look like they're plastic and have arquadia on the back, but some are wood of various type, (the wood ones are mostly plain square/rectangles). there are also hundreds of pre made frames and glass too, I have no idea if assembled frames are worth selling or if they're better off on the woodburner if people only buy frames to order for example.

Now, we do card supplies so its out of our area of expertise, do you guys think its best to pop em on ebay or to ring around local framers and ask them if they'd like any, or is that not the thing to do? Would they buy from a novice or do they need to get it from a supplier so they know its the same everytime (if that makes sense).

any advice you can give me will be gratefully received, we had no idea there was this much stuff when we said we'd help out and we're a bit out of our depth.
All the best, Tim.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: desperate cry for help

Post by pramsay13 »

Post what you have in the Advert/Sales/Wants part of the forum.
Either list them individually or as a job lot. Photos will definitely help along with a description of condition.
You can have a look at some current items selling to give you an idea of price, or invite offers.
Mouldings you should probably put on as a job lot unless you want to individually list each length in type, size, finish etc.
Ready made frames assuming they are a standard size will also be worth trying.
Twosoc

Post by Twosoc »

Brilliant, thank you for the speedy reply. I'll get a list together of exactly what we've got and try to get some really good pics of the details. Some of the mouldings look really nice (to me anyway) when you clean the dust off. I might do them as job lots i.e. all the mouldings and all the frames but mention we'd be willing to split them as there's quite a lot and I've no idea the quantities people would be interested in.

thanks for your help.
Tim.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I would take time to sort the stuff out. You could have some good equipment there by the sounds of it - as long as it's in working condition. Same with the moulding. have a rough tot-up and post photos if you can.

The big snag with selling things like this is the transportation. Machinery is heavy. Moulding is awkward. So you might have to price it right to get buyers.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Many framers, if not most, have large vehicles for collection/delivery, I have two Volvos, one's a bit sexy the other's in a state .... sorry ... an estate, a 940.

Is the "floor mounted morticing machine" possibly a Morso - a mitre guillotine?
Twosoc wrote:we do card supplies
What's that, greetings cards, greetings cards making .....?

Welcome to the forum and good luck anyway.

(Edit) I googled "floor mounted morticing machine" look at this beast! http://lumberjocks.com/topics/48076
Twosoc

Post by Twosoc »

Thanks for the advice, I'm in the workshop tomorrow so I'll have a look around and take lots of pics. I'm pretty sure its a morticing machine, but I could be wrong, we found a set of extremely sharp blades that look like they could be for cutting the mouldings.
thats as close as i can find online. I think ours is grey though.
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/mult ... 83109.html

Yep we sell makings for greetings cards, boxes etc. all eco/green/recycled stuff.
Twosoc

Post by Twosoc »

Just done a little bit of tiding in there, not much as we were very busy today, so I've taken some pics for those of you who are curious. I'll makea post bout them in the sale section if and when we get them to work properly. I've tested the morticing machine and it works, but needs a little tlc as the up and down bit is stiff

Twosoc

Re: desperate cry for help (updated with pics)

Post by Twosoc »

My apologies for spamming the board it wouldn't let me edit my post for some reason, the faq said to click the edit button bu there isn't one, perhaps because I'm new?
Anyway, I've got pics of the underpinner, if you guys could give me a bit of advice as to if its worth anything or if we're better off scrapping it that'd be great. If it worth selling, I don't want to charge over the odds, I'm not fussed about getting full value for it, it needs to go and I'd much rather it be used than scrapped. There's something heartbreaking about scrapping tools.

Judging by the last photo I'm guessing its a cs 830? Is that a thing? And it looks to be from 1985 unless I'm reading it wrong. Deos that sound plausible?

There are also eight pink cartridges of pins/wedges?, 15 orange, 34 red, 9 blue and one light blue all marked cassese

Again, I appreciate nay help you guys have given and can give, this seems like one of the most friendly forums I've ever visited.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It sound plausible, but there's some bits missing. There should be a pair of 90 degree fences and limit stops, also the top clamp pressure pad and it's retaining screw are not there either.

I'm not sure what your best course of action would be, but you could try talking to the guy who runs underpinner spares (as he refurbishes and sells underpinners) and see if he will give you anything for it.

Sorry, but I'm guessing that it might not be worth very much!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Twosoc

Post by Twosoc »

no no, I appreciate it, like I said if its worth salvaging great, if not then to the scrap it'll go :) Thanks for the info. :)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

As previously mentioned, I also think that the other machine probably is a morticer and if this is right, machines of that sort of age and construction are usually built like tanks and last forever. If it works, you're probably on a winner!

As a starting point, I would have a look on ebay, to see if you can find anything similar and try to find out what people are paying for that sort of thing.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

The mortiser is 3 phase which would put a lot of people off. To find something similar search ebay with the term "mortiser -bench". These are not used in picture framing, and ebay is the best place for it.

The underpinner would be useful if it had the fence. Without it it's spares or repair basically. If you were within a few miles of halifax I'd pick it up for a few quid as a source of spares for my fully working 830.

Sorry to not be more positive.
Twosoc

Post by Twosoc »

cheers guys, I really do appreciate all the suggestions. I wasn't too sure what the morticer was used for, I had in mind locks on doors, but don't really know. Its defo single phase though, we've plugged it in and it works too :)
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

Sorry for the duff 3 phase info, the starter on the side says 440v which is 3 phase.

They are used in door and window (and some furniture) manufacture to make mortices into which tenons are inserted. These things sell well on ebay.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Any info on the moulding? :)
Twosoc

Post by Twosoc »

no not yet, its been crazy recently I'm hoping to get some sorting done tomorrow, I'll post pics as soon as I have number

Abacus, don't worry you know more that I do :) it was possibly converted at one point, I appreciate the effort.
Twosoc

Post by Twosoc »

does anyone know what these are, there are quite a few but they don't look like 90 degree angles, they seem slightly off.
kashif86
Organisation: Get Canvas Plus
Interests: Making Friends, Reading Books, Swimming

Post by kashif86 »

Please post into the relevant section. :giggle:
A wide range of canvas frames and materials available with an extended range of indoor and outdoor exhibition display equipment and sublimation blanks.
prospero

Post by prospero »

kashif86 wrote:Please post into the relevant section. :giggle:

As the guy is primarily asking for Help in identifying stuff that he is a little uncertain about I would say it is in the relevant section.

Please refrain from posting such comments. If you have any serious conplaints, pm a moderator.
Twosoc

Post by Twosoc »

Hi, we've had a sort out this weekend and we've got over 120 lengths of the bobbly gold edged one, 78 of the solid gold line one and six and a half of the wide silver/gold one. Can anyone identify them? We've also got loads of real wood strips, in a range of thicknesses and types, mostly pine but there are a few nice bits in there.

and thanks Prospero I appreciate it.