Suggestions for a Picasso!

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
walnutboy
Organisation: walnut73 ltd
Interests: photography, learning the guitar, caravanning

Suggestions for a Picasso!

Post by walnutboy »

Hi all,

Not a real Picasso to be fair, but apparently quite a valuable limited edition print. The person I am framing it for is a young lady around 30 years old, quite modern thinking with no idea where she will put it or what kind of thing she is looking for. I'm basically picking your brains and hoping to come up with something to suggest to her.
Oh, and it also comes with an A5 sized certificate of authenticity - I'm not sure I want to include this, but open to any suggestions. The poster itself is somewhere between A1 and A2 paper.
The poster is this one:
Portrait of Jacqueline by Picasso
Portrait of Jacqueline by Picasso
PABLO-PICASSO-PORTRAIT-OF-JACQUELINE.JPG (95.91 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
Thanks in advance.
PS I really should mention that I am fairly new to framing, so any technical talk may have to be explained a little.
prospero

Re: Suggestions for a Picasso!

Post by prospero »

Depends how much she wants to spend. :lol:

I did a "quite valuable" print a few weeks ago. Used edge mounting with Mylar so no gluey attachments. Deep mount so plenty of glass clearance.

The aesthetics are more a matter of personal taste.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

My idea is probably not going to appeal to anyone :D but I think modern masters, especially Picasso look amazing in Spanish antique frame styles, where you have a dark painted section which would be very dark blue or black blue, and really bold corners and centres. I don't see why prints should not be framed in a similar way, close framed without a mount. You could also use a simpler cassetta shape frame without the ornament, still have a very dark blue/black central panel, but with the inner and outer mouldings in a silver gilt finish instead of gold.

This is what I mean:
Attachments
P1100643.jpg
P1100643.jpg (166.85 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
230410 016.jpg
230410 016.jpg (211.35 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Post by Framie »

I've done a few real Picasso over the years and they always need something a bit special but with out going all crazy something from the Larson-juhl Sofia collection would look great :)

I would use at least AR glass (only museum UV/AR for the real thing)

Larson-juhl Sofia collection
http://www.arqadia.co.uk/category.aspx?id=183
Anything Framed
standenfineart
Organisation: Private
Interests: Private

Post by standenfineart »

Completely agree with you Richard. Google 'Sotheby's Picasso' images for some cracking examples.
walnutboy
Organisation: walnut73 ltd
Interests: photography, learning the guitar, caravanning

Post by walnutboy »

Thanks for the help everyone. I was looking at the Larson-Juhl Michelangelo collection (6670bu maybe) but do like the more old school look of the Sofia.
I would love to take up your advice Framie, but this is probably out of my skill set at the moment. Maybe down the line somewhere (ok in the far distance I know)
Anyone got any opinion on the mount - I quite like the idea of doing away with the mount so far.......................
..........but i was also thinking of making a kind of 'pocket' mount (ie normal mount glued to a slightly oversized straight cut backing mount) that would sandwich the print between the two layers and stop it slipping out, but would be a little bit worried about it wrinkling or bubbling over time. Any suggestions (again) greatly appreciated.