Recommended mdf cutter

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
vapoureyes

Recommended mdf cutter

Post by vapoureyes »

I am thinking of buying equipment for cutting mdf backing board, i would appreciate some advice on choosing, i would like a cutter that cuts clean. :?
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

in my honest opinion i wouldn't recommend MDF,

the health issues that can result from the fine dust really aren't worth risking,

Most framers have shifted over to Corricor - and FoamCore backing boards, as they are much easier to cut and safer,

however if you still want to use MDF, i would recommend a Keencut System4000 (if you can get one second hand) or a Keencut Excalibur
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

I concur with Grahame.

Yet we do use MDF and we cut it on the Excalibur. Very quick and NO DUST, plus it triples as a Mount card cutter and Glass cutter, also plastic glass scorer.
John GCF
osgood

Post by osgood »

Vapoureyes,

I consider that MDF is not backing board to be used in framing. It is a product that is loaded with lignin/acid and absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and grows mould unbelievably well. Just because something is cheap and flat does not necessarily mean it should be used as backing!

There are plenty of better alternatives as Grahame has suggested. Do yourself a huge favour and eliminate MDF permanently from your framing!
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Merlin Framers wrote: plus it triples as a Mount card cutter

it may cut mountboard, but lets just say sometimes the accuracy or squareness just isn't there,

i was told recently that it really wasn't advisable to use the system4000 and its like for mountboard becasue they just aren't precise enough..

of course we continue to use it anyway for mountboard and our corricor/artbak/perspex/glass/foamcore etc etc. as it saves time.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I have the Excaliber 5000 and have no problem at all with anything being out of square.

Its all in the calibration. As with anything.
John GCF
osgood

Post by osgood »

Merlin Framers wrote: Yet we do use MDF and we cut it on the Excalibur. Very quick and NO DUST, plus it triples as a Mount card cutter and Glass cutter, also plastic glass scorer.
John,
I noticed in another topic that you say you are in a very damp area of the country. If that is the case, aren't you toying with disaster by using MDF???
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Ormond

As stated before, the only time we use MDF is on these 'Hong Kong' oils.

They are PVA'd on both sides and I know its an overkill but we also place Corri Cor Mk3 as the backing.
John GCF
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Personally I don't (generally) distinguish.

It's needlework?

It took you HOW MANY years?

I'll lace it!

It came free with 'Cross Stitch Magazine' last week?

I'll lace it!

That's how I do needlework you see.

An ORIGINAL LOWRY on rolled canvas? WOW!

I'll stretch it across battens (plus ........???)

A painting by ROWLEY - on blue canvas - bought on holiday in Tunisia?

I'll stretch it across battens!

That's how I do canvasses you see!

(Rules are made to be broken - but MDF? Oh No - Oooooh NO! - not in this game!)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Roboframer wrote: An ORIGINAL LOWRY on rolled canvas? WOW!

I'll stretch it across battens (plus ........???)

A painting by ROWLEY - on blue canvas - bought on holiday in Tunisia?

I'll stretch it across battens!

That's how I do canvasses you see!
Hi John,

Small cheap oils I stretch across Simons J/13 used on it's side so the sight edge raises the canvas above the rest of the moulding. I also use Simons K/114 for larger canvases and the new Simons canvas stretcher moulding for still larger canvases.

However, I always charge quite a bit more for stretching a canvas than sticking it down to MDF. My minimum for sticking it down is about £10, while my minimum for stretching is usually about £20. I always feel a bit sorry for those who've been conned into paying some so called "student", way over the top for something of such doubtful value.

Is this not one case where the use of MDF is OK because it's an appropiate way of saving a ripped of customer a little of the overall cost.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Exactly NYAF
The canvas used on these 'Hong Kong' type of oils is very thin and I have seen stretchers used the the canvas has ripped on the weave.

Far easier and cheaper to Dry mount it, on what ever you want...
John GCF
osgood

Post by osgood »

Merlin Framers wrote: Far easier and cheaper to Dry mount it, on what ever you want...
Sticky foamboard is what I use except for when the customer tells me that they bought the painting for an 'investment', then it gets stretched.

Thankfully this doesn't happen often!
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Merlin Framers wrote:Exactly NYAF
The canvas used on these 'Hong Kong' type of oils is very thin and I have seen stretchers used the the canvas has ripped on the weave.

Far easier and cheaper to Dry mount it, on what ever you want...
we have three possible options for HK oils.

Stretch and Frame -usually most expensive
Stretch - second most expensive
or
Wet mount with PVA to MDF and frame

currently have 14 HK type oils in for stretching for the one customer. he bought them in Bangkok in a factory. he knows what he bought and was more than happy to pay for stretching, as he just wants to hang them on the wall like that.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Grahame, those are also my options. At the end of the day it is the customer who chooses.

There must be a large consortium of 'students' going round at the moment, coz we too have about 7 of the 20 x 30 in to do. Only one of them to be on stretchers. Unusually this one of the 'Eiffel tower' is on particularly thick canvas and will take the stretchers with ease..
John GCF
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

we have another load in as well. 24" x 20" classic HK oils. one of them was the eiffel tower bought in paris from the "artist", the other two for a different customer are images i have seen before.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

WoW!!!

The student (artist) must have his/her own private jet then. To be the artist on the street in Paris. The next thing walking around the housing estates as the student selling - as in this case - her painting..

Must become a student instead of self employed..
John GCF
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

These students learn FAST!
Hoops

Oils on board

Post by Hoops »

These "students" are most industrious, as they very busy in my area selling Eiffel Tower, Ballerina, waterfall, Tour De France etc, etc. Have three in at present, all being stretched and the sides being finished in matt black- looks well on the gallery bars.
What has taken me by surprise, is they turn up at the door selling their wares, but are now offering an appointment service where a framer turns up a day or two later and offers to frame it.
The customers that have told me about this practice have all declined...chevrons in the hall etc.
I'm not bothered about this, just surprised they are expanding. Has anyone else heard of this?
One lady brought in a Paris scene- she alsolutely loved her purchase, and told me that the "student" painted this from the window of his apartment. How can you ruin someone's day? I had to bite on a tape measure to stiffle my laughter!!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I had one of these student call at the house on Bank Holiday Monday - first time ever - dang - wish I'd said "Oh - I'd really like a framed one" to see if I was offered an appointment - just to find out who is doing it.

I bet it's all RMFs - swepts etc etc anyway - paintings the student tried to show me were all stretched.