Delivery of new underpinner and mountcutter

Something to announce to the world? Do it here.
dottad

Delivery of new underpinner and mountcutter

Post by dottad »

Hi Everyone,

I know this isn't big in the 'announcement' world, but for me it is. I should be taking delivery of my new Ultimat Gold and Cassese CS88 underpinner in the next couple of days and I'm just fair excited :D
I guess when I have opened the boxes and set them up I will then have lots of questions.

I chose these items by way of the advice which everyone here has been giving and I'm sure I have made the right decision and look forward to many years of fun in using them.
So thank you for your advice in this forum
Dot
osgood

Post by osgood »

Congratulations, Dot!
It's really great to get some new equipment to play with! I'm sure you will learn them quickly and get some great results.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

I've been using both machines for 2 years now, and am very happy with them. Enjoy your new toys! :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

you'll love the CS88,

i've just mothballed our ""taurus clone"" pneumatic underpinner which is causing us problems in favour of our good old CS88,

ye cannae beat it
dottad

Post by dottad »

Thank you all, I must admit, it's like christmas all over again, can't wait!
Grahame, I nearly came to visit you at the beginning of the month as we were on holiday at North Berwick and came up to Edinburgh to go visit at Ashworth & Thompson, but the shop was busy, so didn't want to disturb you. Great location by the way - with a bus stop right outside you must get good passing trade and parking! what a boost :lol:
Dot
osgood

Post by osgood »

dottad wrote: Grahame, I nearly came to visit you
Dot,
When are you going to come and nearly visit me??? :wink: :wink:
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

dottad wrote:Thank you all, I must admit, it's like christmas all over again, can't wait!
Grahame, I nearly came to visit you at the beginning of the month as we were on holiday at North Berwick and came up to Edinburgh to go visit at Ashworth & Thompson, but the shop was busy, so didn't want to disturb you. Great location by the way - with a bus stop right outside you must get good passing trade and parking! what a boost :lol:
yes the location does have its problems though, we are not too visible, well, we weren't visible, but new signage has made all the difference, a little too much difference if you ask me.

Yesterday i was on my own in the afternoon, and had a queue of 6 customers waiting for framing advice at one stage, i didn't get my lunch until 4.30.

Even if we were busy we always welcome a friendly face, you should have come in, we would have shown you our tiny workshop, crammed full of moulding, and mountboard

if you are ever in the Edinburgh area again pop on in!
dottad

Post by dottad »

Ormond - I wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: if I win the lottery, I will be over in a shot :lol:
Grahame, I certainly will, thank you.
Dot
dottad

Post by dottad »

Yippee :P They've arrived!
Don't have time to open them up and play yet, but roll on a quiet time
Dot
osgood

Post by osgood »

Dot,
Wow......what self control you have!
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Re: Delivery of new underpinner and mountcutter

Post by WelshFramer »

dottad wrote:Hi Everyone,

I know this isn't big in the 'announcement' world, but for me it is. I should be taking delivery of my new Ultimat Gold and Cassese CS88 underpinner in the next couple of days and I'm just fair excited :D
I guess when I have opened the boxes and set them up I will then have lots of questions.
It might be well worth getting a magnetic head for the Cassese from Lion (http://www.lionpic.co.uk/index.php?sess ... ductid=316). In my experience it's well worth the money and makes the job much easier with less risk of denting mouldings. It also avoids the need to use that spacer thingie for narrow mouldings.

Somebody here recommended sticking foam bumpers to the felt pad to keep glue from the felt and that does work well. Lion also sell replacement felt pads though they are not mentioned in the catalogue.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

I got one of those magnetic heads from Lion, but I can't seem to get on with it at all. :cry: Any tips on how to use it? I suspect that the foam cushion on my one isn't where it should be, and I get dents in scooped profiles...... :?
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

dottad wrote:Yippee :P They've arrived!
Don't have time to open them up and play yet, but roll on a quiet time
I wish you success with your new kit. You'll soon wonder how you managed without them!

A little tip get your head down so that you can look along the Keencut at eye level to make sure your work surface is dead flat and is not allowing the Keencut to twist along it's length. It makes a lot of difference if it's not! I use mine with the 15 thou single sided blades - They're the business!
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi Áine
We had exactly the same problem initially with the magnetic head for the CS89

Then I was shown how to use a rubber.. ( ooooooppps) and eraser, between the foam and the scoop or spoon profile..

We ended up with two types of eraser: a fairly hard one for the spoon profiles and a soft one for the scoop ones - as it is soft enought to follow the profiles but hard enough not to fall apart with the pressures.

I attempted to write that in a clean sort of way.. Failed again John !!!

You get my drift though - I hope - in these PC days of ours.
John GCF
osgood

Post by osgood »

For emergency use I have a couple of wooden triangles with some neoprene glued to them. I used to use wetsuit neoprene, but found some wrist pads for use with a computer keyboard that are about half an inch thick. Cut a triangle out of that and stick it on the wood (water resistant chipboard) triangle.

I haven't had to use them since I got my 3099 Ultra. Good placement of vee nails and using the bungs they supplied works perfectly.
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Merlin Framers wrote:Then I was shown how to use a rubber..
I bet you say that to all the boys!! (LMAO)

PS...
I'm a convent girl. I don't do "PC"!!!! :wink:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Moglet wrote:
PS...
I'm a convent girl. I don't do "PC"!!!! :wink:
They use Macs in Convents then?
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Roboframer wrote:They use Macs in Convents then?
Certainly not!!! Trenchcoats, if you don't mind :wink:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
dottad

Post by dottad »

Thank you all, you have certainly been entertaining - macs and trenchcoats! too posh for me - I use a kagool :wink:
Mike, I will keep the magnetic head in mind. The guy at Ashworth & Thompson used the yellow head for the CS89 on theirs and loves it to bits.
NYAF, Hubby had head down, spirit level at hand and of course I haven't been near it yet as he's has done the man thing and taken over the new toy - but ah, my time will come....
John, rubbers! oha, is this going to be the next topic - one hundred and one things that you use rubbers for :roll:
Ormond, we used cut up bits of cushioned kitchen flooring on our old table top underpinner and it worked a treat.
After setting up the new toys, we can now get down to some serious playing. What a wonderful difference to our little mountcutter which although did the job, is like night and day. Had a try at the v-groove last night and although first attempts were a bit wide (just have to find the ideal width), what a daudle - cool. I will take some pics when I get the chance of our set up. You have to of course bear in mind that we are just hobby going on busy, busy, but hopefully the basis is there and that all will get there in the end.
Dot
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

Moglet wrote:I got one of those magnetic heads from Lion, but I can't seem to get on with it at all. :cry: Any tips on how to use it? I suspect that the foam cushion on my one isn't where it should be, and I get dents in scooped profiles...... :?
No tips really, for me it just works. It's slid fairly far forward like this:

Image[/img]
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status