At a complete loss now.....

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
jay

At a complete loss now.....

Post by jay »

10378945_775000402589365_4908266883336065052_n.jpg
10378945_775000402589365_4908266883336065052_n.jpg (30.03 KiB) Viewed 4425 times

As previous post..... got steel rule and lined up fences working my way back from measuring guage, RH fence, LH fence.... all perfectly aligned, and the markers on both fences agreeing with the '45' on each curved guage.
Result.... Big gap at sight edge. Spent all afternoon adjusting LH fence by fractions of a mm, until I lost the gap.
Result.... When I offer up the edges the RH face is way wider than the LH as I had to adjust the LH fence a ridiculous amount to lose the gap!!
Have never understood why we would only need to adjust one side of the cut, as obviously the resulting angles will be slightly different (albeit not as ridiculous as my extreme example)
Or am I missing something REALLY obvious??!!
Any suggestions where to go from here?
Attachments
10417642_774998982589507_6232724709822745550_n.jpg
10417642_774998982589507_6232724709822745550_n.jpg (18.23 KiB) Viewed 4425 times
This is how far off 45 I had to go to close the inside gap
This is how far off 45 I had to go to close the inside gap
11045017_774989802590425_4918618577734554382_n.jpg (16.08 KiB) Viewed 4425 times
Mark Thornton
Organisation: Underpinner Spares
Interests: Red wine - lots and lots of it.

Re: At a complete loss now.....

Post by Mark Thornton »

Hi Jay

Do you have another set of blades that have been sharpened by a different company?

Mark
https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk Framing equipment spare parts - Easy online ordering
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Hi Jay,

Can I start by saying I feel your pain!! I had a similar issue last year, I tried everything I could think of and although my blades were fairly fresh & just sharpened I bought another brand new set. With the new set the cuts were perfect. Expensive I know but it done the trick for me.
jay

Post by jay »

Mark,
Always get my blades sharpened by the same company.... have done for 16 years (creature of habit obviously!)
These are fresh out of the box, and my newest ones I think..... I have 3 sets, none of which have had heavy use.
Never really considered that to be a possible issue....
Any suggestions as to where to go would be gratefully received.
featurepiece,
Really don't want to go buy new blades as I feel these have had such light use to date..... But I'm losing money as each unproductive day goes by.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

that really obvious thing you think you may be missing, if you adjust the right hand fence the moulding will just but up against the scale making the adjustment useless.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

it sounds like badly sharpend blades.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

When I had the problem I was loosing the will to live!!!!!! I spent ages looking at the all movements etc and I noticed that when I cut (only noticeable when moving the blades very slowly) I could actually see the moulding be pushed out from the back. After the cut I could see (& feel) that the freshly cut edge of the moulding wasn't flush with the bottom blades & when put together afterwards it ended up with a gap on the inside. I probably I haven't explained that properly :oops: Like you I didn't believe it was the blades but I really was willing to try anything - in my mind it was at least another thing ruled out. Not saying buying new blades is the correct answer to your problem but it sounds similar.
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

Are the blades being hollow ground?
prospero

Post by prospero »

Sounds like blades to me too. Have you been cutting a moulding with a hard coating? I've known mouldings that will dull even newly ground blades in a few cuts.

One thing you could check.... Check that there isn't a tiny speck of something between the blade and the cutter head. Clean the surface of the cutter head and the back of the blade and re-mount the blades and see if that makes a difference.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
jay

Post by jay »

IFGL wrote:that really obvious thing you think you may be missing, if you adjust the right hand fence the moulding will just but up against the scale making the adjustment useless.
Not entirely sure, but think I know what you mean.... Just to say I made sure the RH fence was in line with the scale for starters. I am aware that if it were at, say 46 degrees (as an extreme example) that, as you say the moulding wouldn't touch it, but butt up against the scale?
That's also what I mean about the adjustment only ever being on the LH cut making for unequal faces which don't fit (as in 1st photo)

IFGL wrote:it sounds like badly sharpend blades.
Any ideas how to check that for sure, and what to do about it?

easypopsgcf.... yes, hollow ground.
Have put the previous blades back on, and will check situ in morning!

featurepiece
Will go slow tomorrow with other blades and check these points, then check again with the newly sharpened blades, then, if all else fails, buy yet another set of blades (always wondered why they're not a pair of blades!!)

Thanks guys!! Your help is invaluable..... "A problem shared....." :happy:
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Basically you shouldn't have to adjust the fence by very much certainly not by enough to make the faces different sizes.

I did have a problem like this once, it turned out the company that sharpend my blades had changed hands, and had no idea how to sharpen tbem.
We have 7 set's in rotation so it was very easy to diagnose for us.

I have known the casing of the morso to crack causing a flexing of the head when the pedal is pressed, this would be very rare but more likely if it has been raised and the pedal is pressed further than its supposed to go.
chris62
Organisation: Sansom Gallery
Interests: Photography/Carpentry

Post by chris62 »

It could also be different widths of moulding, I have just had that this morning 3mm difference not a big problem as its a plain wood and can be sanded down