Mounting and framing an oil on board

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Mounting and framing an oil on board

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

I have a customer who has bought a few original pieces from us has asked if I can reframe one of their existing pieces as it looks a bit stale now. They would like the piece to have a small frame to cover the edges as there a couple of areas of damage, and this mounted on a white back with 50mm boarders and this then framed with a white moulding.
20150312_132331.jpg
20150312_132331.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 3218 times
The piece measures 910 x 590 mm.

My provisional plan is to use a small plain wood moulding (painted white) to frame the piece, this will be then fixed to a white back (marine ply???) and to use the Lion 47mm 'Bare Wood Cubik L' Ayous
Wood_Moulding_47mm_Bare_Wood_Cubik_L_Ayous.jpg.ashx.jpg
Wood_Moulding_47mm_Bare_Wood_Cubik_L_Ayous.jpg.ashx.jpg (7.09 KiB) Viewed 3218 times
again painted white.

Would be most grateful for input, and marks out of 10 for the idea!! :sweating: I have seen this sort of thing in Galleries but have not had to work out how it is done as my wife prefers her canvases in tray frames.
prospero

Re: Mounting and framing an oil on board

Post by prospero »

Forget the plywood back.
Do the inner small frame as you suggest, then make a frame from a 2" flat moulding or even just a ordinary bit of square wood. Fix the small frame to this and fix the whole lot inside an outer frame.

Simples. :D

If the painting is a bit thin and wappy, put a backing board behind it and slap it in. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Sounds like a Nicholson frame to me, sometimes known as a St Ives frame. Very popular in the South West :D

Hopefully this link will work http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... n&start=20 but if not just search Nicholson frame in the Forum search function and the thread will come up in the results. Plenty of info and photos of examples on there.

They can look fantastic but make sure you charge a sensible amount for your time on this one as the painting and fitting together can all add up.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

For the back part you can use MDF, a flat wooden section, or ply if you want.

I think this one was with MDF, the inner frame was fixed with screws:
Attachments
white.jpg
white.jpg (43.17 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I'd use this as an opportunity to sell some posh glass (yes, this has glass in) - but not just for the sake of upgrading the sale. If it's glazed it'll never need cleaning again and you can then use more readily available and easier-to-cut materials, like normal mount board bonded to whatever your default backing is; some matching (or contrasting) rebate spacers and you're away. Might not cost that much more actually - might take less time???
Attachments
frameinaframe.jpg
frameinaframe.jpg (26.15 KiB) Viewed 3143 times
Beau
Organisation: Belvoir Gallery
Interests: picture framing, astronomy

Post by Beau »

Wow! Very impressive Roboframer.