Keencut system 4000 mdf problem

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Keencut system 4000 mdf problem

Post by Chris_h »

I wonder if anyone can help, I am having problems with my Keencut system 4000.

I purchased this second hand around a year ago, recently it's been producing lots of mdf dust and I noticed the other day the mdf cutting head was loose.
DSC_0318.JPG
DSC_0318.JPG (3.2 MiB) Viewed 3006 times
When I have gone to put the screw back in it doesn't seem to line up properly, the only way it seems to go back together is at an angle and then the cutting head does not run up and down the sideway. I am wondering if I have lost any bits or if the cutting wheels are from a different machine alaltogether as the hole just does not seem to line up properly. Is this normal with the system 4000? I have attached a few pictures.
DSC_0315.JPG
DSC_0315.JPG (3.28 MiB) Viewed 3005 times
DSC_0316.JPG
DSC_0316.JPG (3.31 MiB) Viewed 3006 times
DSC_0317.JPG
DSC_0317.JPG (3.18 MiB) Viewed 3006 times
DSC_0319.JPG
DSC_0319.JPG (3.39 MiB) Viewed 3006 times
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Keencut system 4000 mdf problem

Post by Steve N »

It looks like you need to put spacers in that channel to align the cutter, my excalibur 5000 slightly different setup from your 4000, but you use the spacers to calibrate the MDF cutter so cutting the right size, I have the spacers on my 5000, so the MDF cutter and the bottom cutter are both cutting on the same mark.
Have a word with Keencut, I have found them to be very helpful in the past
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I looks to me that the wrong side of the black metal plate is facing the rest of the machine. I think that the two screws need removing, then the plate can be reversed and the two screws replaced.

After that the cutting head should be able to fit in place correctly. I'm going down to my workshop to have a look at my own System 4000 to see if what I am saying is right.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Yes, it is as I had suspected and here is a photo of the own System 4000 to illustrate what I am saying.
System 4000 board cutting head.jpg
System 4000 board cutting head.jpg (207.84 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
If you look carefully, you will see that the shoulders on each side of the black plate are in different positions and that your black plate has been fitted the wrong way round!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Chris_h
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Post by Chris_h »

Many thanks to both of you for your help. My System 4000 was purchased second hand last year. It was set up for about six months but unused as I could never get it square, I purchased a bevel box but still had no luck getting it square. After around six months Idecided to look at it again and fitted new bearings from Keencut and took the machine apart so it's possible I could have put it back together incorrectly or the person who had it before me.

After getting it up and running for the last few months I wonder how I have lived without it for so long. It was inevitable it was going to break though as only last week I decided to take my bench end guillotine from off the bench as I just use the wall cutter these days and almost straight away it breaks.
Chris_h

Post by Chris_h »

Many thanks Mark. I am away for a few days at the moment but can't wait to get back home and sort it out properly now.

Chris
Chris_h

Post by Chris_h »

Many thanks Mark. I am away for a few days at the moment but can't wait to get back home and sort it out properly now.

Chris