Multi-aperture double mount help please

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
SPFR
Organisation: Spire Framing
Interests: Framing, painting, cycling, swimming

Multi-aperture double mount help please

Post by SPFR »

Hi everyone,
I have a job in which I need to cut a double mount with 10 apertures of about 4 different sizes. Manual only using Keencut Ultimat Futura. No problem cutting a single aperture double mount using method of cutting apertures in top mount first then sticking undermount on with double sided tape and the first cut out, and then cutting the second aperture but I would like some advice on getting uniform cuts with multi aperture. My current thinking is to cut two pieces of mountoard exactly same size and cut all the apertures in the top mount then stick bottom mount on and very carefully measure and draw the lines for all the smaller apertures on the back of the bottom mount then cut. Only worry is will this be reliable enough to get even uniform second cuts? Is there a better way of doing it? (not using CMC).

Many thanks.
Don't sweat the small things and use a good stepladder for the big things.
Gus
Organisation: Not yet.
Interests: Off road motorcycling; Youth work; Watching sport - motocross; speedway and rugby mainly.

Re: Multi-aperture double mount help please

Post by Gus »

There was some advice about this a while ago on this site - think it may have been from Robo.

On the bottom (window) mount draw pencil lines that extend to the edges of the board for all the apertures. Cut. Stick smaller 2nd mount as usual, but you can now see the lines from 1st cut. Add 5mm, or however much is required and cut.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

That's exactly the way I done this..... takes a bit of time & patience though :)
Attachments
IMAG1231.jpg
IMAG1231.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 6016 times
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

Personally I wouldn't try it, I have done and it's a nightmare, there are too many chances of getting it wrong. A pencil line is around 0.5mm wide, cutting the wrong side of two lines and you could be 1mm out - if you've measured it right in the first place. If it was me I'd find someone locally with a CMC and pay them to do it, the quality will be way better and it will save a lot of time and probably mountboard. There's no easy way that I know of.

Good luck.
caro
Organisation: Manor Farm Studios
Interests: making stuff with wood, glass, metal, textiles, paint. Big friendly dogs.

Post by caro »

I go along with what David said, if any part goes wrong... why do it the hard way when there's an easy way?
prospero

Post by prospero »

I wouldn't relish the prospect of doing it on a manual. If you can get someone with a CMC to do it for you, that will save a lot of heartache. :cry:

If you choose to undertake it, I would suggest cutting all the bottom layers in separate boards so they can be individually jiggled and if one doesn't fit quite right you haven't wasted a lot of board. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

Exactly as above, cut the ten undercounts as singles, then measure all your apertures on the mounts(in case you get one or two slightly out), then draw out your 10 aperture single top mount
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I asked the same question some years ago and it was Roboframer who explained how to do this. It was a great tutorial from Robo and I was able to follow his method without any difficulties and it worked perfectly at my first attempt.

I've been using this method ever since with complete success and with a little practice it becomes very easy to do! There are two threads which explain how to do this.

This was the original thread which had Roboframer's superb tutorial and photos. (Unfortunately the photo's are no longer available, so I supplied a set of replacement photos on a later thread):

http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... ble+mounts

This was the later thread where I supplied a set of replacement photos.

http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... ble+mounts

I hope this will be helpful to you.
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

BTW, if you need to stick the double moults together on the margins between the apertures, the new Herma micro dot adhesive tapes would be an easy way of doing this.

I have recently used the Herma micro dots to secure a lazer cut between two pieces of glass, by sticking the reverse side of the laser cut to the rear piece of glass.

This worked perfectly and without the fixing method being visible. I did not buy the dispenser and tape, just the replacement roll of tape, because I was not sure if I would need to use it again.

Next time I will probably get the dispenser as well. I found it to be very useful stuff and very easy to use.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I wrote an 'How to' many years ago (in the early 90's) for the Fine Art Trade Guild's Art Business Today mag on this very subject, I will see if I can dig out a copy and post it on the Forum ( might have to check copyright 1st) :sweating:
But in the mean time, if you want to drive to Bath, I will cut it on my CMC, just bring you own mountcard
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
SPFR
Organisation: Spire Framing
Interests: Framing, painting, cycling, swimming

Post by SPFR »

Thank you everyone for all the helpful replies and information, links and photos. What a great forum this is :D
This time I will use a local framer with the CMC kit, I called them up and they seem very helpful and just 2 miles away. Some day I will attempt to do it manually just to compare.

Marshall
Don't sweat the small things and use a good stepladder for the big things.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

If you try it yourself start with a double mount with 2 apertures rather than attempting something like this.
Then you will see if you manage if it is worth attempting a more complex piece.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

A double mount with two apertures (or as many as poss in one line) is fairly easy, you can use the margin guide and/or the start of/end of cut stops for every cut, the most difficult are the ones you have to do margins and start/end of cuts by eye - IOW too far from the edge of the board for the guide/stops.
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Reading this thread and visualising the wasted boards that might get dumped reminds me of the days before CMC's when the very talented Brian Wolfe used to be at the Spring Fair and other frame shows around the world doing his fancy cut mounts by hand on the Crescent stands.

Crescent explained to me that most framers, try as they might, were unable to replicate Brian's talent.
So why have him on your stand then? :?:

" Because when they try they waste a lot of boards and have to keep taking a new sheet- and that sells more boards" :Slap:
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I never found it difficult to cut multi aperture double mounts, just very time consuming.