Valuable oil painting on birch panel - How best to frame?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
SPFR
Organisation: Spire Framing
Interests: Framing, painting, cycling, swimming

Valuable oil painting on birch panel - How best to frame?

Post by SPFR »

A customer brought in a very nice and valuable (£1500) oil painting on 3mm thick slightly warped birch panel. The painting goes right up to the edges and two of the edges are roughly cut so they are a bit wavy. They have gone for a narrow 1/2" moulding. Although this would be ok, I can't help thinking it would be better float mounted so the whole panel shows including the uneven edges. The rebate width of the narrow moulding may not be enough to cover the uneven edges so could look a bit iffy with some gap between the inside frame edge and the edge of the painting.

Has anyone any ideas how best to mount the panel onto a backing so I can float frame it? I don't want to glue blocks of wood onto the back of the panel and I will need to go back to the customer with the new idea.

Thanks.
Don't sweat the small things and use a good stepladder for the big things.
Roboframer

Re: Valuable oil painting on birch panel - How best to frame

Post by Roboframer »

How big is it?
prospero

Post by prospero »

If you don't want to glue blocks to it you are left with using mechaniacal fixings. Not thick enough to screw into so you are left with something gripping around the edges. Lion do some handy bendy mirror plates which could serve. But at least some of the plate would be visible. Not very satisfactory IMHO.

I would stick with the original plan. You might have to carve a bit of the moulding out in places to widen the rebate so the panel drops in nicely and no rough edges showing. A sanding drum on a Dremel is good for doing this.

If the panel is warped a frame this size will follow the warp. A stout backing board or subframe would be desirable to give the whole thing a bit of meat. This would mean that the skinny moulding would have to be deep enough to conceal the edge of the backing.

The best plan by far was not to let the customer pick the frame. It may look fine, but there are practical considerations and that's what the poor framer has to deal with. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
SPFR

Post by SPFR »

It's 605 x 455mm
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

The client has agreed the frame he wants. Just go and do it and stop wasting time....
SPFR

Post by SPFR »

Thanks I agree, too much thinking..it will be fine.