On Being a Forum Member

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

On Being a Forum Member

Post by Moglet »

Dear All,

This is my third Christmas season in the framing trade.

I opened my gallery and framing business in August 2005, with no idea of what to expect. Between organising the gallery, managing deliveries, serving the earliest stages of my apprenticeship to the craft, faulty second-hand machinery, and (good complaint) framing orders coming in quicker than I had expected, it was a very stressful and frenetic time (this, from someone who worked for blue chip corporates at engineering operations level for years, is no small statement), but I got through it, and I promised myself it would be better "next year."

Then life got in the way...

The past 17 months have been anything but easy, and a few months ago I was dreading the prospect of the run up to Christmas. Partly through experience, and partly through lack of choice in the matter, I'm flying completely solo this Yuletide and, being completely open and honest about it, it really is "make or break" for my business.

To my great surprise, I now find myself actually looking forward to the next few weeks!! all the long hours, all the deadlines, all the pressure. Bring it on!!!! :D

I've been musing this evening about why I feel so much better about things than I expected to. And I can put it down to one thing: The Forum.

There's a huge difference between "belief" and "faith" in what one is striving to achieve. When one strives for quality in this day and age, it's a slow build and a lonely path at times. Since I joined the Forum, I've lost that feeling of being a "voice in the framing wilderness," I don't feel "swamped" when I have a problem. Why? Because I have found a wonderful community of genuine, caring, passionate, and incredibly generous people around the planet, who have welcomed me into their midst and supported me through one of the toughest times in my life.

Thankyou for your passion, your strength, your "giving a real damn about stuff that matters," for your humour, and for the generous way that you share your experience and your wisdom. Thankyou most of all for your camaraderie. You have all made a very positive, and very welcome, difference to my life, and you have really helped me to keep going, and to "have faith"...

Míle míle buíochas!

(I'm just a Great Big Semimental Old Moglet... :wink: )
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
osgood

Post by osgood »

Áine,
I'm sure that everyone else has the same feeling as I do, in that you have been and will be a wonderful participant and I always look forward to reading your posts.

I'm sure that you will have a successful business and I hope that the Christmas season will be not only busy, but profitable too!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well thank you for coming here Áine - and making it an even better place.

Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn o lyswennod. :D
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

:lol:

Beautiful thighs have you, John! (Don't know it as Gaeilge, so had to settle for Yodaspeak... :roll: )

Thankyou both! It's a good place here! :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Áine,

I enjoy reading your posts too! We all contribute and we all learn a little here and a little there, but isn't it amazing how our skills and abilities develop while we participate and help one another. It's fun and thank you for the good amount of the fun which has come from you!

Wishing you a fantastic Christmas and next year is when it all comes together. Go for it.
markw

Post by markw »

Áine - Flying solo is never easy - but the achievement will always be yours. Keep up the posting - and enthusiasm.

Ive reached the humbug stage of Christmas - looking forward to the week after Christmas when I will have time to catch my annual cold - now thats what I call enthusiastic.
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

Hello Aine (don't know how to get the thingy on the A)
I have been reading this forum for quite a while but only recently signed up and I fear I did so because of people like you who are quick witted,friendly and seem to wind down and shed the frustrations of work while online (I think most of us if not all actually love this job) . I am not sure if I would ever need to ask questions in this place but it really is cool relaxing at 1 or 2 in the morning and reading posts and the responses and the humour etc. All the best for the rest of '07 (hah! I can fortunately stick up a notice at the end of next week that I cannot take in any more work this year if I am to finish before Christmas)
Alan
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

fineedge wrote:Hello Aine (don't know how to get the thingy on the A)
Caps lock - hold down 'Alt Gr' and hit 'A' - or 'Start' - 'Run' type in 'charmap' and copy one from there - in any font.

See - you do need to ask questions here after all :P
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

My heartfelt thanks to everyone for your encouragement and good wishes!! Facing into an all-nighter here, so ye have really given me a much-needed boost!! :D
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Moglet wrote:Facing into an all-nighter here,
I've heard about these Irish Lock-ins - I've read 'McCartheys Bar 'and 'Round Ireland with a fridge'

Not mixing it with YOU at the hotel bar in Birmingham!
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Could this be John's proposed outfit for the Sunday evening?

Thinking of calling this little fella "Robochicken".... :wink: :P

(Methinks this 'ere Moglet is in for a slap any minute... :shock: )
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

Humble apologies! I think that came out wrong - must be the late night but thanks John for the answer to my Q.
Alan
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Re: On Being a Forum Member

Post by Bill Henry »

Moglet wrote:Because I have found a wonderful community of genuine, caring, passionate, and incredibly generous people around the planet, who have welcomed me into their midst and supported me through one of the toughest times in my life.
Àine’s right, this is a good forum to be in.

Despite the “cultural differences” I have learned a lot here. The folks are, by and large, very friendly, forthcoming and supportive. It is a joy to poke my head in from time to time.

(I’m still waiting to learn the secret handshake and the copyrighted drinking song, though.)
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
osgood

Post by osgood »

Roboframer wrote: Caps lock - hold down 'Alt Gr' and hit 'A'
"Alt Gr" ? I know what "Alt" is, but what is "Gr"? I don't have that key on my puter!
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

It's the alt on the right side of the spacebar on mine.....
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Tech Support
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Wikipedia tells the whole story here.
osgood

Post by osgood »

Mmmmmm..they forgot to put that key on all five of my puters. They are all US keyboards and none of the instructions from Wikipedia work! I've been dudded!!!
Bugger!!!
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Wikipedia tells us more about keyboard layout here.

But to save wading through the whole article, this is the relevant bit: -
Please note that English-language keyboards in the USA do not have an AltGr key, which is common on keyboards for many other languages. The AltGr key is in the same position as the right Alt key, which can function as an AltGr key.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Yet more from Wikipedia: -

The US keyboard layout has a second Alt key instead of the AltGr key and does not use any dead keys, and thus offers no way of inputting any sort of diacritic or accent; this makes it unsuitable for all but a handful of languages. However, on some operating systems (including Windows), the layout can be set to US-International which allows for dead keys but still uses the standard US keyboard. The right Alt key then acts as an AltGr key.
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ
I did it! I did it! Hi ÁineUsed the charmap option because the Alt Gr just brings up the window with My Favorites

Cheers
Alan