metric or imperial

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
markw

metric or imperial

Post by markw »

I run my work shop using nothing but metric measurements and i place orders for all materials in metric - so why do we still talk imperial when describing ready made frames - or stretchers. I ordered some non standard size stretchers the other day 41 x 36 cms. great big parcel turned up with 41 x 36 inch strechers - very nice stretchers complete with cross pieces. this isnt the first time i have had this problem and in my preformatted order sheets i state very clearly that i am using centimetres as the unit of measurement. Why dont we just use metric and be done with it? :roll:
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

It is probably mostly customer driven Mark.

I would guess that 80% of our customers prefer to use imperial. So even though the workshop is metric, we still price most of our jobs in inches as we feel that our customers are most comfortable with this system.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

We have had the same problem with ready mades and ordering the strut backs for them..

Whilst I agree with John that it is mostly customer driven. Distributors still work imperial.. SIMONS for one.. Their latest pricing booklet is still in £'s per 100 foot. However, the magic figure of 3.281 comes in very handy.

All our worksheets, chevron mouldings and POS is costed at £'s per metre and it is really (dare I say it, being one of them) it is the older generation who have difficulty with this 'new language'.

The younger generation, we find, actually insist in talking metric.
John GCF
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Metric or Imperial

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi All,

In answer to John GCF (UK), the 3.281 figure is very important, but also I have taped to my wall beside the workbench, Imperial to Metric conversion chart that I made. The figure 25.4 either dividing by or multiplying by, is an excellent life saver.
Like most framers, we work soley in metric, but we price everything in imperial, I just havent had the time to convert my programme as yet, but will do when it snows in July.

Talk soon
Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Ah Steven,

No need to wait for our usual july to roll around next year :)

Just use the right program.
artisan soldier

Metric or imperial

Post by artisan soldier »

Mark,

Here in New Zealand we measure in metric, I guess because we were colonized by the British?.

Standard size frames are stated in imperial. I think the numbers are just easier for customers to remember. If it weren't for this I would be using metric exclusively in a second.

David
"Regard all art critics as useless and dangerous" - Manifesto of the futurists