How accessable is your business? New Law starts 1st Oct

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Cornish Framer

How accessable is your business? New Law starts 1st Oct

Post by Cornish Framer »

Thought this might be a good time to remind all of you about the new law which comes into force at the start of October. We went to the Cornwall FSB (Federation of Small Businesses) Branch meeting last month to find out how this will effect small businesses. With imput from our local MPs and a disability expert from the health service it was quite a helpfull evening. (Incidently it was free and open to FSB members and non members alike, not bad for Cornwall!)
We've now put into place a number of changes that we hope will help our less abled customers.
* cleared all aisles (no clutter on the floor) to an 80cm width with extra turning space near the till.
* made a portable ramp (can't put in a permanent one as path outside too narrow) which we can put in place when needed with doorbell signed outside to ring for assistance so that wheelchair users can get in.
* a note pad, pen, and clipboard so that wheelchair uses can sign cheques etc, hard of hearing can comunicate through note etc.
* We are unable to give access to the upstairs so we are making up a photo folder of all work on display in the upstairs gallery so people can look through it and then we can bring down further work they want to see.

This has all cost less than £100, and most of it is common sense, I've heard of some shops saying they can't afford to put ramps and things in. We made our own (I know we in the framing industry have an advantage as we have certain carpentry skills although I got my Dad to make ours).
It would be interesting to hear how others are tackling this new legislation.
Cheerio!
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Access

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

Thankfully, we didnt have to make any changes at all, except removal of the odd errant cobweb. We have a few wheelchair user clients and the front door is as it should be, as is our rear entrance which just happens to open onto the car park and the disabled parking bay, so access is easy to our building. Like Cornish Framer, just adding the note pads, pens, pencils, etc. we have already 2 tables to lean on.
One thing I was thinking of doing was buying a second hand computer and linking that and the one upstairs for pricing, etc. But I will wait to see how it goes. Anyone else thinking of doing this?
My only fear is the use of toilet facilities, they are on my 3rd floor, bad enough for us at times (the stairs are very steep and narrow and awkward), but thankfully there are within 50 yards, public facilities.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre

Post by Guest »

Hi Cornish Framer
Where abouts in Cornwall are you??