Page 1 of 1

frametek econospace

Posted: Sun 21 Jan, 2018 12:13 pm
by daveym
I'm new to framing and want to use the econspace in existing frames so as to create a small amount of depth between glass and artwork. On the Lions website I like the look of the ES-125 but what I don't understand is the dimensions. It states 3mm so assume this is the thickness. What is the actual depth of this style and can it be cut with sharp scissors or a blade?

Also is Lions the best place to buy these if I'm just looking for small orders first?

Re: frametek econospace

Posted: Sun 21 Jan, 2018 1:21 pm
by Rainbow
I asked the forum about Econospace a while ago and the replies weren't in favour of it. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15387&hilit=Econospace

If I need spacers, I use the ones from Wessex - they've got a few different sizes in black and white. https://www.wessexpictures.com/spacer_mouldings.html

Re: frametek econospace

Posted: Sun 21 Jan, 2018 1:34 pm
by Rainbow
Alternatively you can use matching mountboard stuck to foamboard - see this video for a demonstration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KjSi1GkPaM

Re: frametek econospace

Posted: Sun 21 Jan, 2018 1:58 pm
by daveym
Thank you very much for those replies, I'm glad I asked this question on here as have just watched the youtube video regarding sticking mountboard to foamboard and this is ideal.

My question being a newbie is where to get the best foam board and mountboard. Is the standard to use 3mm foam board? I'd also have to purchase a decent cutting blade adequate to go through the mountboard.

My only thought and possible issue is I'm only wanting a max depth of say 5mm between the glass front to artwork so not sure how easy 5mm would be to cut using a blade with the mount and foam. Thicker pieces wouldn't be too bad but these are very thin strips so I might have problems.

Re: frametek econospace

Posted: Sun 21 Jan, 2018 2:17 pm
by JFeig

Re: frametek econospace

Posted: Sun 21 Jan, 2018 3:31 pm
by pramsay13
I use a mixture of all these methods depending on what I am doing.
If I just need a small space I use the econospace and just cut it on the morso.
When cutting foamboard I use a Logan foamboard cutter http://www.daler-rowney.com/content/logan seen around half way down this page.

Re: frametek econospace

Posted: Sun 21 Jan, 2018 5:43 pm
by Not your average framer
I have used Econospace myself and the actual thinkness of the extrusion is probably less than 1mm thick and the screws are also very small. I could not buy off the shelf a screw driver the correct size to fit the screws. Lion sell a screw driver bit which fits a standard hex dive socket.

To be honest Econospace is not really my thing. I did not feel that it was particularly solid, or durable and have chosen not to use it after the first time. There are other ways of extending the rebate depth which to my mind are easier and much more likely to stand the test of time and I tend to think that it's a lot of money for what it is.

Re: frametek econospace

Posted: Sun 21 Jan, 2018 6:34 pm
by pramsay13
Mark, I think you're thinking of a different product.
Econospace is a small plastic spacer that sticks under the glass to lift the glass off the mountboard.
To answer the original question there are 4 sizes although all are 4.8mm wide so will sit comfortably under a 5mm+ rebate.
1.2mm
3.2mm
6.4mm
9.5mm

I mitre them on the morso but you can use any knife or cutter. I've just noticed they recommend only up to 30".
https://frametek.com/products/econospace/

Re: frametek econospace

Posted: Mon 22 Jan, 2018 12:12 am
by Not your average framer
Opps1 Yes, you are correct. I'm getting mixed up with the rebatespace. Sorry about that.

There was a time when I used econospace regularly, but I have not used it at all for a few years. I did not have any particular complaints about it, but I have gone away from it completely over recent years. If it suits your way of doing things, I think it still has advantages, but I've moved away from it.

I think there were a number of reasons for no longer using econospace, including changes in customer requirements. The last batch of econospace did not get used as fast as previously and I found that the life of the self adhesive while in storage meant that the adhesive was no longer effective.

Re: frametek econospace

Posted: Mon 22 Jan, 2018 3:38 pm
by kartoffelngeist
daveym wrote:Thank you very much for those replies, I'm glad I asked this question on here as have just watched the youtube video regarding sticking mountboard to foamboard and this is ideal.

My question being a newbie is where to get the best foam board and mountboard. Is the standard to use 3mm foam board? I'd also have to purchase a decent cutting blade adequate to go through the mountboard.

My only thought and possible issue is I'm only wanting a max depth of say 5mm between the glass front to artwork so not sure how easy 5mm would be to cut using a blade with the mount and foam. Thicker pieces wouldn't be too bad but these are very thin strips so I might have problems.
We always use 3mm foam board. You should be able to cut through it was whatever you use to cut mountboard. A Stanley knife will also do the job pretty well. The only knack is to cut it by scoring it a few times rather than trying to get through it all in one cut.

To cut 5mm strips etc. The easiest way, if you're using a mountcutter, is to cut the foamboard to the right length, rotate it and cut it to a set length (doesn't matter what, as long as you know what it is). The cut it to 5mm shorter than that length. the left over bit will be a 5mm strip at the right length. Then just keep taking 5mm off to get all four sides.

If you're not using a mount cutter, a Stanley knife and a steel ruler should do it. Just remember to do it in a few cuts rather than one all the way through and you'll find it much easier.

Re: frametek econospace

Posted: Mon 22 Jan, 2018 3:40 pm
by kartoffelngeist
That's weird...seemed to send as a PM the first time, rather than posting here. Maybe I just pressed the wrong button.