Cheap Underpinner

Discuss Picture Framing topics.
Everybody welcome.

Cheap Underpinner

Postby Marcio Silva » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:06 pm

Hey guys!

Hopefully you can help me out on this quest, i am looking for a cheap underpinner without manual v-nail loading for something below 400 euros, i see the most well known / more spoken of brands are above this price and the models that arent are the ones that you need to reload each v-nail at a time, i was thinking to go order a cheaper one from china like this one - https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 4edamayATP

Has any of you have any experience with these chinese brands or do you simply stay with known western products?

Thanks for the input!
Marcio Silva
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:30 pm
Location: Portugal
Organisation: None
Interests: Framing

Loft

Re: Cheap Underpinner

Postby poliopete » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:04 pm

"Has any of you have any experience with these Chinese brands or do you simply stay with known western product?"

Speaking for myself, no and yes. :?

As always with these purchases the choice should be determined by the type/volume of framing you do at the moment and what you anticipate doing in the future.

For the same money, or less, you could buy a sound second hand machine and get spares if/when necessary.

For a little more outlay you could buy a new manual machine from Framers Corner or Lion for example.

Hopefully, you will get more replies from other framers once they have had their tea and a nap. :roll:

BTW Welcome to the Framers Forum. :D
poliopete
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:13 am
Location: The Wash
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: Cheap Underpinner

Postby Marcio Silva » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:27 pm

poliopete wrote:"Has any of you have any experience with these Chinese brands or do you simply stay with known western product?"

Speaking for myself, no and yes. :?

As always with these purchases the choice should be determined by the type/volume of framing you do at the moment and what you anticipate doing in the future.

For the same money, or less, you could buy a sound second hand machine and get spares if/when necessary.

For a little more outlay you could buy a new manual machine from Framers Corner or Lion for example.

Hopefully, you will get more replies from other framers once they have had their tea and a nap. :roll:

BTW Welcome to the Framers Forum. :D


Thanks poliopete!

Unfortunately i have no way to know the production value i will be needing, as starters im guessing i will be doing very lil amounts ( <5 frames day ) but this could bump up to multiple times that value in the near future, as that is what i wanted to play safe to (yeah right, this guy just wants the best and cheap! haha).
I have searched for 2nd hand material locally (Portugal) but the only ones i could find were the real expensive ones (new for around 2500 euros), which used they sell for around half the price which is still waaay above my budget.

Thanks for pointing out Lion's store, i hadnt seen them before, they seem worth to dig in some further research, as far as Framers Corner i had already seen their M3 machine, seems perfect for what i want, except the pricetag haha :D
Marcio Silva
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:30 pm
Location: Portugal
Organisation: None
Interests: Framing

Re: Cheap Underpinner

Postby Abacus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Unfortunately the shipping will blow your budget (don’t believe the price the seller will give on alibaba, these are exclusive of customs charges which will add up)

I’ve just imported a machine from China, the shipping cost £300 which I thought was reasonable (I used shippo). The seller offered to ship for $130, but I’ve been warned the “customs charges” could be as high as £600.
If you do buy ftom them get a price “fob” which means “free on board” I.e. loaded on a ship, then use your own courier to get it from China to your workshop.

Hope this helps
Abacus
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:20 pm
Location: Halifax, West Yorkshire
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Re: Cheap Underpinner

Postby Marcio Silva » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:28 pm

Abacus wrote:Unfortunately the shipping will blow your budget (don’t believe the price the seller will give on alibaba, these are exclusive of customs charges which will add up)

I’ve just imported a machine from China, the shipping cost £300 which I thought was reasonable (I used shippo). The seller offered to ship for $130, but I’ve been warned the “customs charges” could be as high as £600.
If you do buy ftom them get a price “fob” which means “free on board” I.e. loaded on a ship, then use your own courier to get it from China to your workshop.

Hope this helps


Thanks for the info!
Thats one of the reasons why buying from China is scary, not the product itself as it doesnt have electronics that they could mess up, but the actual shipping, not only the costs could be high as it could also get stuck in customs and only be released with further tax payments..

Lets hope i can find a better option here in the west! :D
Marcio Silva
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:30 pm
Location: Portugal
Organisation: None
Interests: Framing

Re: Cheap Underpinner

Postby Not your average framer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Does it have to be a new machine? A good secondhand machine may solve your budget requirement and still be of reasonable quality at the same time.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
 
Posts: 7618
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:40 pm
Location: Glorious Devon
Location: Devon, U.K.
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Cheap Underpinner

Postby Marcio Silva » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:22 pm

Not your average framer wrote:Does it have to be a new machine? A good secondhand machine may solve your budget requirement and still be of reasonable quality at the same time.


A 2nd hand machine is very hard to find in here, and when i do find one it is usually a very expensive model (up to 2000e) which they sell for about half the price used, still over the budget, but i will keep my eyes open for those, no doubt! :D
Marcio Silva
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:30 pm
Location: Portugal
Organisation: None
Interests: Framing


Return to General Discussion




 
Picture Framer's Trade Directory
Picture Framer's Oracle

 
Members Map Header
Members Map
More info
Resources Header
Contact Forum Admin
Directory
How to include an image in your post
Cove Box Designer
Download Designer
General supplies
Glass
Machinery
Mounts/Mountboard
Artists
Conservators
Prints
Software
Tuition
UK Medals
Framers Forum Live!
Support Header
Crimson
White
Green
Violet
Advertise Header
Forum Banner Ads