Keeping Your Mouncutter Working Well

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Keeping Your Mouncutter Working Well

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

Here is a wee tip for getting the best performance out of your mountcutter and working in tip top condition.

Wash it! Yes wash it, in luke warm water with Fairy Liquid. Give it a soft scrub at least once a week, and include the cutter bar and the sliding mechanism. Make sure you dry it well, use a knife covered in kitchen paper to get at the fiddly bits, then give it a smear of Johnston's Baby Lotion, wiping off any excess and ensuring none has got on the underneath of the cutter bar. Makes the mountcutter work excellent and smells nice too.

Do not Baby Oil, thats for sunbathing!

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
markw

Post by markw »

It is amazing the difference a good clean can make - especially something that is designed to cut with precision - i use meths - and an air line to lightly blow away the bits of paper dust that gather in the channels - finishing with a silicon based polish on the friction contact surfaces - i wouldnt want to get any miosture in the bearings as this could damage them in time. I always find that when the cutter is running freely you get better cuts and greater precision as you are not forcing the cut. The other bit of kit that benifits from a good clean is the Morso - good spraying over with WD40 works wonders as long as you clean it off contact surfaces - it helps remove the metalic build up that gets on to some mouldings and can be a real pig to remove.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I wax the contact surfaces on the Morso fences with a hard clear wax such as black bison neutral. It stops light coloured unfinished mouldings from picking discolouration when sliding against the fences.
Cheers,
Mark