PH7/70

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
markw

PH7/70

Post by markw »

Article in the Picture Business - Mr Binghams agony article - the use of PH7/70 self adhesive tape - FATG dont advise its use - I use it - and from the general comments made in the article so do many others. Relevant comment seems to be - "there's far to much dictating and not enough advising"

I use a couple of different tapes for hinge mounting - not sure that i clearly see the advantage of using an archival quality gummed paper tape over self adhesive conservation grade Ph7 tape - they are both as difficult to get off without damage. - the PH7/70 is very reliable.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Also read that article and thought 'This will raise a few comments', but I also agree with the statement about not enough advising coming from those in the know.

I also use it and will continue to do so.. as you say it is very reliable and actually does what it advertises. ie soak carefully in water and it will come off with no problem.

Now all I need to do is find somebody to support Wallbuddies in this country of ours. Not a lot of interest so far from framing suppliers. Oh well!!
John GCF
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Wallbuddies

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi John,

Enlighten me please, whats a wallbuddie? I havent seen the Picture Business this month, we dont get it until the mainland has theirs distributed.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Steven
Wallbuddies are a picture hanging system
www.wallbuddies.com

have a look at why wallbuddies and it will give you a picture

I saw them whilst out in the States, and they effectively do away with D rings and string/cord/wire.

They are especially good for those large picture frames or even framed mirrors, where the customers do try and hang them with cord, which I will admit really worries me !!!

Cost wise they work out at roughly £1.50 per pair, which is nothing really.

I tried talking to Martin Harold of LIONS, but they had a 'new invention' out and really were not interested. However, fingers crossed EURO MOULDINGS are interested and looking into it for me..

Have a look and maybe this could be put as a new topic, rather than spoil this thread, which could be quite good.
John GCF
SquareFrames
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

pH7-70

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi John,

Many thanks, sorry for my ignorance. Cant believe Martin Harold didnt even take them under his notice. But hey! knowing Marticn as I do, he is his own man, and makes up his won mind of things.

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Steven
If you want to check these things out even more then go onto the Yank Grumble and do a search for Wallbuddies.

Its understandable for distributers to be wary of new products and wonder if they will be holding 'dead stock' for ages. Plus if they do take off over here, then what are these distributors going to do with all the thousands of D rings and cord that they already have.. ???

Martin did say that he would display them at the Trade show at the NEC and if they attracted any interest then he would seriously look again at the logistics. I did ask at the stall, but got some blank looks from the reps. So I took it that either the message didnt get down to them or that the answer was a big negative. Shame

I looked at taking them on myself, but hey, you know what its like running your own shop and not enough hours in the day to even do that.

Pity really, at times we do really seem to be way behind the Yanks. Wheels grind slowly.
John GCF
SquareFrames

pH7-70

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi John,

I just looked at my last posting, and my 'speelink is atroshus', sorry about that, I was in a rush! But, ever thought of distributing Wallbuddies yourself? There's a thought for you! Or trying companies like Wessex, Welsh Framing Supplies, Sisslings in Dublin, ask for David or CP Productions in Lisburn, Northern Ireland, ask for Colin. Both David and Colin are members of this Forum.

Anyhoo.....getting back to pH7-70, I use it, but only up to FATG Commeneded Standard. Its a great 'stickability' tape and does exactly what you need it to do, but having said that I prefer to use archival gummed tape and Japanese paper with the wheat starch, its what I have been using to for many years, and wont change. I also would use it (and other methods) where the archival gummed tape would be impossible to use, YES I have used PVA glue, Hot Glue and the likes while mounting cigarette cards, where it was virtually impossible to hinge the cards, etc. I freely admit to that, and would do it again if no other method was possible, but I live in the real world and do what needs to be done.

As far as too much dictating and not enough advising is concerned, I am a member of the Guild's 'Framers Committee', BUT the new member (going to my second meeting soon) I am still finding my feet and getting to know the 'ways and thinking' of the committee, so I cannot comment and wont be drawn into any comments about this, as yet! But you lot know me by now, I call a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel, if I have something to say, good or bad, I will just say it and hold my corner.

Having said that, and on a purely personal note, I will say is this, over the years that I have been a member of the Guild I have noticed a huge change in the standards being produced, and all for the betterment of the industry and also the preservation and protection of customers artwork, and anything that has been researched by the committee and has been then produced as a standard, has been done so for this reason, it is then up to us as individual framers to choose whether to adhere to or not. I personally prefer to adhere to any standard that not only improves my standard of framing but also gives my client's work better protection.

Standards have been painstakingly researched over long periods of time, some standards are ongoing and will be updated as science and new innovative materials progresses, such as mountboard, inks, paper, etc. I believe they are there not to be seen as dictating, but as a benchmark for the framing industry, if we choose to ignore them, we choose to sully our customers and their work.

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
markw

Post by markw »

Innovation allows industry to move forward - inovation can be dreadfully slow in this industry because a small group of framers make the decisions about standards.
Whilst I aggree with Square Frames that our aim is to work to the highest standards, if i use a product that i know achieves those high standards and yet is technically easier to use and, in my experience more reliable, i will use that product. The moan in Pete Binghams column was "why is this product banned for use in the higher levels of FATG standards"?

The word "traditional" seems to crop up so often - my tendency is to see that word as meaning - its the way we have always done it - and thats the way its always going to be done.

In our workshops we all take apart old frames - I am amazed at the way some things were done - its amazing how you can often date a frame/mount just by the technique and materials used - it pays to look as you often see some of the traditional techniques dont last the test of time.
we take for granted the improvements in materials - P7/70 is just one of those real improvements - framers in fifty years will hopefully open my frames and see that the materials i used have stood the test of time.

Having said that, theres nothing i like more than finding a realy old newspaper in the back of a frame - it costs me hours of workshop time. :lol: