Types of knot
- Rainbow
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Tue 23 Jun, 2015 8:51 am
- Location: See my name, I'm somewhere over it
- Organisation: Picture sales and framing
- Interests: varied
Types of knot
What type of knot do you use, assuming you use cord for hanging? I had to de-construct a frame the other day, and I was very impressed with the knot that the framer had used
(see attached). I've been trying to work out how they did it but I think I'll have to unravel it first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
JFeig
- Posts: 1479
- Joined: Thu 23 Sep, 2004 8:31 pm
- Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
- Organisation: minoxy, LLC
- Interests: non-fiction knowledge
Re: Types of knot
The cord in the image is formed with a lot of half-hitches (right to left). I was a fair Boy Scout; but, a good Boy Scout leader.
Jerome Feig CPF®
-
Justintime
- Posts: 2536
- Joined: Sat 26 Sep, 2015 8:48 am
- Location: West Wales
- Organisation: George The Framer LLP
- Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.
- Contact:
-
Not your average framer
- Posts: 11008
- Joined: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 8:40 pm
- Location: Devon, U.K.
- Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
- Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day
- Location: Glorious Devon
Re: Types of knot
I would say half hitches as well. I use two round turns and six round hitches on my own frames.
Mark Lacey
“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
- Steve N
- Posts: 2998
- Joined: Sat 21 Jul, 2007 2:32 pm
- Location: Bristol
- Organisation: Retired
- Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly
- Location: Bristol
Re: Types of knot
I use reef-knot with a couple of half hitches, don't bother with taping up the ends of the cord, IMHO looks cheap 'n' nasty
looking at that one, it would take up a lot valuable time, like making a cuppa
looking at that one, it would take up a lot valuable time, like making a cuppa
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035
Proud to have sold Ready-made frames
Believed in Time Travel since 2035
Proud to have sold Ready-made frames
- GeoSpectrum
- Posts: 2175
- Joined: Fri 01 Oct, 2010 11:49 am
- Location: Lincolnshire
- Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
- Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz
- Location: Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
- Contact:
Re: Types of knot
It's in the Ashley Book of Knotts as the Over The Top Double Granny with Half Hitches.

Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
- Rainbow
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Tue 23 Jun, 2015 8:51 am
- Location: See my name, I'm somewhere over it
- Organisation: Picture sales and framing
- Interests: varied
Re: Types of knot
Many thanks, and I shall look up how to tie Granny knots and Half-hitches on Youtube 
The Ashley book is available as a PDF, all 638 pages of it
The Ashley book is available as a PDF, all 638 pages of it
-
poliopete
- Posts: 798
- Joined: Mon 04 Apr, 2016 7:13 am
- Location: The Wash
- Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
- Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History
Re: Types of knot
I go left over right - right over left or is it right over left - left over right 
- Steve N
- Posts: 2998
- Joined: Sat 21 Jul, 2007 2:32 pm
- Location: Bristol
- Organisation: Retired
- Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly
- Location: Bristol
Re: Types of knot
poliopete wrote
"I go left over right - right over left or is it right over left - left over right
"
either way is okay, it's a reef knot
"I go left over right - right over left or is it right over left - left over right
either way is okay, it's a reef knot
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035
Proud to have sold Ready-made frames
Believed in Time Travel since 2035
Proud to have sold Ready-made frames
- GeoSpectrum
- Posts: 2175
- Joined: Fri 01 Oct, 2010 11:49 am
- Location: Lincolnshire
- Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
- Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz
- Location: Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
- Contact:
Re: Types of knot
Oddly I've got a real printed version of the Ashley Book of Knots from 1960 and there are 9 mentions of a Granny knot. no mentions of a 'Picture framers knot' which is a shame.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
- prospero
- Posts: 11698
- Joined: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 4:16 pm
- Location: Lincolnshire
Re: Types of knot
I always thought a Granny Knot was any knot that you hadn't quite done properly.

Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
