Page 1 of 1

wall hanger for tapestry

Posted: Mon 29 Apr, 2019 3:32 pm
by Folly framing
Hi, I have a client who has a large framed tapestry. She has moved into a care home and the walls are not strong enough to hold the weight of the frame so she has asked me to take it out of the frame and look for something to hang it on the wall unframed.
The tapestry has been lovingly laced onto board by the previous framer and having seen this the lady would like to have a pole with clips to attach to the tapestry (keeping it on the board). I have seen pictures of these on line for hanging rugs etc but wondered if anyone knew of a good supplier or had any words of wisdom on things to look out for? I realise I could use Velcro to attach to a batten but the styling of the pole and clips would suit her best if possible.
Thanks for your help!

Re: wall hanger for tapestry

Posted: Mon 29 Apr, 2019 7:17 pm
by poliopete
Depending on the strength of the backing board, a lightweight French Cleat would be worth considering.

Peter.

Re: wall hanger for tapestry

Posted: Mon 29 Apr, 2019 7:20 pm
by JFeig
Hi Folly
1. A large frame does not compute. Can you please be more specific. I have hung pieces as large as 8 ft x 24ft.
2. Who said that the walls are not strong enough? Who said that? Basic 1/2"(13m) drywall will hold a lot of weight, especially if 2 hangers are used. I would recommend using 2 hangers.
3. I would hate to see an elderly woman's precious needlework damaged by not having it covered with glass or acrylic. Acrylic is 1/2 the weight of glass.
4. If nothing else is viable but hanging on a rod, sew a pocket on the back of the board to capture the rod.

Re: wall hanger for tapestry

Posted: Mon 29 Apr, 2019 7:45 pm
by Folly framing
Thanks for the replies,

Poliopete, i did wonder about a french cleat but think the board is only 2 - 3 mm thick so not sure about securing the cleat onto the board....

JFeig - The frame it was in was just about 130cm x 90 cm and very sucessfully framed before and hung with no difficulty in her own home but the care home she moved into have refused to have it hung on their wall, apparently it is a lathe wall and even with a cleat they would not allow her to have it up in the current frame.
I did suggest acyrilic but they were still unhappy with the weight and the main concern is that the lady be able to have her room feel more like home by having the piece on display somehow. Her family are involved and not concerned about it being unglazed in terms of its preservation so hung with a quilt / rug hanger seemed to be a solution to getting it up with the home's agreement (she had originally intended to use it as a floor rug!). I'm happy to change plans and go for a pocket if i cant find the right thing, just could have sworn i saw something suitable before and now can't fint it!

Re: wall hanger for tapestry

Posted: Mon 29 Apr, 2019 7:59 pm
by poliopete
By turning the tapestry into a "fire screen" would solve all those problems.

Peter.

Re: wall hanger for tapestry

Posted: Tue 30 Apr, 2019 7:03 am
by Steve N
I would sew some lopes of material on the top, something like this
Flybird-around-Palace-vase-Home-decoration-tapestry-125-66cm-Wall-hanging-Aubusson-Medieval-jacquard-fabric-home.jpg_640x640.jpg
If the board is only 2-3mm thick , you should be able sew through that

Re: wall hanger for tapestry

Posted: Tue 30 Apr, 2019 2:28 pm
by JFeig
It is the property owners restriction. Understood. No other comments required. I had a feeling it was that.

FYI, a plaster lath wall is much stronger than modern drywall.