Watching TV.

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
prospero

Watching TV.

Post by prospero » Sat 08 Jun, 2019 5:38 pm

I like watching TV. Don't we all? :D

Recently I discovered the joys of playing .MP4 files off a memory stick plugged into the USB sockets at the back (I wondered what they did. :lol: )
Anyroadup, I have got a little gizmo set up that outputs an signal from an analogue source (VHS player) to the PC and effectively 're-masters' all
my old recordings that I want to keep. I've three VCRs that are that still play but you can only get them second-hand and they are getting hard to find.
So I'm cherry-picking my way though about 1000+ tapes. You can get a LOT on a memory stick. :D

I can't get a straight answer to this question: You play one file. When it ends you have to manually select the next.
How do you make it play ALL the files in sequence? I can set it to repeat, but not to play the next.

My TV is a Panasonic. Do any technophiles here know the secret? Interested to hear any gen.

btw. I suspect the answer is, "You can't". :cry:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About

prospero

Re: Watching TV.

Post by prospero » Sun 09 Jun, 2019 3:37 pm

Got some replies from a techy forum. What I thought - you can't. :roll:

I won't be defeated though..... :lol:

poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 7:56 am

I saw a telly programme years ago about the bloke that invented the "cats eyes" installed in the middle of the road. His invention obviously made him a fortune and he spent some of it on his first love, watching TV :D

The programme showed him lounging in his home, eating crisps and watching three TV's at once (only three channels then) all with the sound down :giggle: Imagine how many TV's he would require these days :shock:

prospero

Post by prospero » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 11:51 am

.... And if the cat had been facing the other way he could have invented the pencil sharpener. :roll: :lol:

poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 4:42 pm

We had a cat once and thought it only had one eye :( we soon realized it walked backward a lot :shock:

featurepiece
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by featurepiece » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 10:51 pm

I'm not sure about the spec on your TV but the playback software is probably a little limited. You're best going on Ebay or the like and picking up a little media player for a few pounds and using that instead i.e. put your media on your storage device as per usual, attach that to the media player and hook the player up to the TV. Or invest in an Android based player for a tenner extra and you've have an entire multimedia suite at your fingertips. :)

prospero

Post by prospero » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 11:49 am

:D I have come to the same conclusion. :lol:

cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver » Fri 14 Jun, 2019 6:49 pm

Best bit of tech kit I EVER bought is a combined DVD/Hard Disc player.

I believe it's the same as a Sky Box (though I've never had one of those): you can record stuff at the touch of a button & time-shift like a video recorder, but there's no searching for tapes (& cueing up the tape) or DVD discs.....as it goes onto the hard disc You also get little thumbnails of the programmes you have recorded, rather than just a text list.

It holds about 200 hours of content, and if you want to archive/save things, it's a piece of cake to transfer them onto DVD discs (on the same machine).

Sorry, I know this is VERY basic stuff (though not to an old sod like me!), but maybe someone would find this useful.
:head:

prospero

The Plot Thickens.....

Post by prospero » Sat 15 Jun, 2019 1:59 am

Funny thing.....

I was talking initially about my number 2 TV which is Panasonic but is un-smart. :)

I didn't try my no.1 TV, which is also Panasonic but is smart, because it's on the wall and thus tricky to reach the USB sockets.
I now have plugged in extension USB leads so I can swap memory sticks easily. Lo and Behold the media player app in this set is
a different kettle of fish. It shows preview thumbnails and also plays in sequence. :D This despite it being older than set no.2.

DVDs seem to be going the way of VHS tapes. Got a piece of software kit now that copies DVDs to mp4 format to save them to your PC.
Takes a while, but not as long as playing the DVD. (about 1/2 hour for a movie). It even copies Regions other than 2 (Europe) which most
DVD players won't play. A lot of new PCs come without a DVD drive. :roll: I got one fortunately....

I have also just got a standalone media player which I haven't tried out because I'm short of a lead. :(