Page 1 of 1
Mount Press Times for 4-ply boards?
Posted: Sun 14 Jul, 2019 5:10 pm
by jay_photo_art
I've begun to use the platform mounting method as seen here:
https://www.theframersforum.com/viewtop ... f=6&t=8798
I'm not too keen on using PVA adhesive mostly because I don't have much experience with it. I'm concerned about open time and effectively covering large areas of mount board without leaving gaps or using too much adhesive.
Is there any reason not to dry mount the boards together?
If dry mounting is OK, what would be the recommended time for two 4-ply 16 x 20-inch (40 x 50 cm) boards using Seal mount tissue? The only instructions I can find are for mounting artwork to mount board like is commonly done.
Thank you!
Re: Mount Press Times for 4-ply boards?
Posted: Tue 16 Jul, 2019 12:08 pm
by Steve N
You are only sticking 2 board together to form a platform mount, as long as the PVA glue is quite close to the edge of the larger window (the back of the Mat) and the outer edges of both boards, it dosen't really matter if you leave gaps in the glue coverage, use a few bits of ATG tape to hold the boards together while the PVA dries. As to how long, well it depends on how much you use , how thick you put it on and the temperature, just experiment with some off cuts
Re: Mount Press Times for 4-ply boards?
Posted: Tue 16 Jul, 2019 1:46 pm
by jay_photo_art
I appreciate the reply and I apologize that my question may not have been clear.
What I was asking: is there any reason NOT to use dry mounting (with mount tissue and heat press) instead of PVA.
Regarding press time, I expect to do some experimenting but I was hoping for an idea of where to start. In the past when using a mount press and mount tissue with a print on 16 x 20-inch (40 x 50 cm) 4-ply board I have usually done about 90 seconds at 200F/92C. Would three minutes be a reasonable starting point for two 4-ply boards?
Re: Mount Press Times for 4-ply boards?
Posted: Tue 16 Jul, 2019 2:06 pm
by Steve N
Is it a vacuum press that you will using, if so then I would not use it, as when pressure is applied you may find around the smaller window,(front of mat) bend inwards due not having anything behid it, also. you will have to cut a hole in the tissue around the size of the larger window, as to the time in the press, I can't tell you as I no longer use one, it's been over 11 years since I last used one
Re: Mount Press Times for 4-ply boards?
Posted: Tue 16 Jul, 2019 2:16 pm
by jay_photo_art
Is it a vacuum press that you will using, if so then I would not use it, as when pressure is applied you may find around the smaller window,(front of mat) bend inwards
It is not a vacuum press but I will be aware of the possibility of the smaller window bending anyway - I hadn't thought of that. Thank you for your reply.