Victim with skype neededr

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Grahame Case

Victim with skype neededr

Post by Grahame Case »

could one of you kind people please test my skype us button at http://www.blackhallframinggallery.co.uk ? it is on the menu bar, i can't test it as i don't have skype loaded here.. its at the shop..
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

not to worry, it works, finally! several hours later than planned, and i'm off to bed!
iantheframer
Organisation: is not my greatest talent!
Interests: photography

Post by iantheframer »

Sorry
What is Skype, and do I need some :?: :!:
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

skype is a VOIP (voic over internet protocol) package, sort of like a phone that works on your PC, cheaper than mobile and land line calls.

http://www.skype.com/
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

When we were finally able to get Fiber Optic broadband for the shop, I toyed with the idea of getting Vonage (a Skype-like VOIP) to piggy-back with the new system.

But after doing a fair amount of research about FiOS, both the fiber optic people and the Vonage group mentioned (in very small print, of course) that trying to operate a credit card terminal was iffy, at best.

I didn’t fully understand the technology, but with high speed broadband, it was reported that sometimes the packets of information that get sent through the credit card terminal get dropped resulting in either the credit card being completely rejected or erroneous information being transmitted. For example, instead of a £50 transaction being sent, you might get a credit for £0.50 or £5,000.

Rather than risking this, I had to stick with the standard land lines for my credit card terminal.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

Can any of you with Skype tell me what the benefit of using it is, how easy it is to use and what does it cost?
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi Birdman

SKYPE is free to download and to use. The only expense is that you need a headset and microphone or phone although a decent web cam is also very handy.

I use mine to keep in touch with family in San Diego and Republic of Ireland.

I usually have a video link with my brother in the states weekly and for anything up to an hour - it has been known to be longer. High definition video link - real time and totally free. How much would that cost on just a telephone call alone.

With a video link, unfortunately it is only a one on one situation.

However, with audio only, you can have up to 5 people on one conversation chatting away..

At the same time within video link or conference, you can pass keyboard written notes to any of the users (privately). Drag and drop files and pictures even.

It is a very versatile package.

We shall have to organise a conference JGF night. The first five on will be the lucky ones.
John GCF
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

I've just spent 37 minutes talking to friends in the South Of France, for free as it was Skype to Skype, ie computer to computer. However calls to landlines and mobiles are also possible and to many countries do not cost a lot. For example, calls to USA (mobile or land-line) are not much more than a penny a minute.

But have a look on the Skype site, all the details are there.
fionnuala
Organisation: Vereker Picture Framing
Interests: Dogs, Books, Cinema

Post by fionnuala »

hi merlin.
just wondering if u download this skype, does it use a lot of memory and would it slow down the speed of my laptop?

apologies if this is a daft question. its just since we first got the internet on our desktop it has slowed down considerably. when i asked our ip the reason, they said if i had a lot of stuff stored it would slow it down...
prospero

Re: skype

Post by prospero »

fionnuala wrote: ....when i asked our ip the reason, they said if i had a lot of stuff stored it would slow it down...

They are telling you blatant porkies. :x The only case where this might be true is if you had your hard drive nearly full. You should always try to keep at least 15% free space as the system will use the this as extra memory if it needs to. But a reasonably modern PC should be able to cope with web browsing without breaking sweat. (Unless you got AOL. :roll: )
fionnuala

Post by fionnuala »

is that so? so typical, that someone will spin u any ole line if they think you're no that clued in. (only to technology mind!)
so prospero, what could be slowing down my internet? and if the speed on my laptop is ok (same connection), then its the desktop isn't it?? ie its the computer itself and not the internet?
i'm baffled.. :?
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Video link on ~SKYPE seems to use a lot of memory which makes it slow and jumpy.

My sister had only 256KB of RAM and couldnt use video. Ok with straight audio. That is until she increased to 1Gb of RAM. Video worked ok then.

What memory are you using in your laptop and or PC?

Also you need to look at what other progs are running in the background that you may be unaware of..
John GCF
prospero

Post by prospero »

fionnuala. :)

Could be almost anything. :roll: I don't know what isp you have or your system specs. I mentioned A*L before as I had baaaad karma when I had their software installed. And from what I have learned since I was not alone. They put so many extra bits in - sports news - wheather reports and all 'useful' stuff that if their browser was running then nothing else would. It literally took all the PC resources. Often there is other software bundled in with the package that looks good on the face of it, but in practice hust clogs things up. Same thing can be said about N*rton anti-virus.

PC's are weird things and once you start installing programs, no two are the same. So can't be a great deal of help here... :cry:

btw. Have you de-fragged it lately?

also.... have a squint at the task manager. See if there is a program running that seems to be using a lot of memory (not the system ones). Anything over 10,000K is hungry.
mick11

Post by mick11 »

Hi fionnuala,

Go to this link and run the full service scan

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/default.htm

You may need to give permision for it to download the files depending on your settings.

It will clean up the files and registry and defrag the hard drive if it is needed and will check for spyware and any virus It will also update your windows files. Depending on the pc this may take some time.
Do not allow it to give the results to microsoft.

What internet service and speed are you using and are you using a router,if so what make and model.

You can check the speed of your internet connection here, use the London pyramid and let me know the results.

http://www.speedtest.net/
Mick
-----------------------------------------
The impossible I can do today,
Miracles take a little longer
---------------------------------------
fionnuala

Post by fionnuala »

Oh my God! :shock: I will have to reread both those messages a few times! Went way over my head. Gimme a few days n i will get back to ya. Great to get the advice tho. I have a feeling i'm going to become a techie yet!! :D
mick11

Post by mick11 »

fionnuala wrote:. I have a feeling i'm going to become a techie yet!! :D
Its only taken me about 35+ years, and even i have problems keeping up with it sometimes. :wink:
Mick
fionnuala

Post by fionnuala »

Hi Mick
phew! this is taking some time! i did speed test. results were: download(1757 kb/s); upload (202 kb/s). my isp is Eircom. its like british telecom.

tried to do full service scan but ran into some problems. couldn't download scanner so i removed some programs etc. but still won't let me download scanner. suggestion was to disable my anti-virus just while i run the scan. But haven't a clue how to do that. Any ideas?

Also i think this is my router. Its the box that connects me to the internet?? that box is netopia 2247 NWG-VGX WiFi Gateway.

Hope all that means something to you.

thanks for all help. much appreciated.

fionnuala
mick11

Post by mick11 »

Hi fionnuala

You are either on the 2 or 3meg package and your speed test is acceptable for either.

Which windows operating system is on the pc. ie XP, Vista

Are you using Internet Explorer for browsing

Do you have a stand alone anti-virus such as Norton, AVG, Zone Alarm or some other. There should be a small icon at the bottom right of your screen near the clock that will show this if you run your mouse pointer over them.

There should not be any need to remove any programs, but may need to disable any popup blockers and anti - virus programs. I should be able to talk you through this when I have the information above
Mick
fionnuala

Post by fionnuala »

you're a star.
:D
i am on windows xp.
i am using internet explorer.
my anti virus is AVG, Spybot & Ad Aware.
oh and yes there is a small icon for AVG on bottom RHS. i double clicked on this and looked through all the options but didn't see anything about diasable the anti virus.

Fionnuala
mick11

Post by mick11 »

To disable AVG right click on the icon and click on exit or close, also disable spybot and adaware.(both these programs can cause problems on their own)

In IE click on tools at the top then popup blocker and turn it off if it is on.
Try and run onecare again.You may get a bar appear at the top of the page asking permision to download, click to allow.

Follow any boxes that come up and click next whenever it comes up except the one asking to pass information to microsoft

Hopefully it will run for you, if it still will not run let me know any reasons it gives.

If it runs ok, when it is finished, restart your pc from the start button .You can then switch popup blocker back on in IE if you use it.
Mick