Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Blisters on 5mm Foamboard

Post by Coxby »

I recently received a batch of 5mm Foamboard and blisters formed beneath the clay coated white board. They have appeared both during storage and after putting through a Dry Mounting Press so I guess heat is removed from the equation!

I have heard of manufacturing problems, has anyone else found similar irregularities or have any tips on how to prevent this happening. Also, how on earth do you keep foamboard from warping when stored on it's edge :?
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Hi Coxby,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm glad to say that I have never seen the problem you describe with foamcore, though I will be giving my stock a close inspection tomorrow.

To prevent foamcore, or any other flexible sheeting, from taking on a curve when propped against a wall, first set up a sheet of half inch plywood or other rigid material for the foamcore to lie against. If you want to put the icing on the cake, place another rigid sheet on top which not only helps to keep the material flat, but also gives it some protection.
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Foam Core

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi All,

I keep my stock of foam core in its original box and on its long edge, and fortunately under a bench with nothing else near or close to it. This is deliberate simply for access. I checked all my stock yesterday and thank goodness everything was in order, no blisters or blemishes. I also keep 4 or 5 old posting tubes, in varied sizes for all the strips that we end up with, they all come in handy at some time or another.
Luckily I have also one large (5 foot) posting tube that I keep all my fillets in, they are notoriously hard to store either flat or upright, but this tube solves all problems.
One thing I have noticed lately, is the blemishes on mountboard. Not manufacturing blemishes, I mean footprints on the facing paper, corners being badly damaged, and by the looks of it not even ocuring at source. It is being harshly treated by the delivery drivers, etc. Anyone else got the same?

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
markw

Post by markw »

Finger prints on boards straight out of a new packet is a little frustrating - little black flecks that you dont notice before cutting a mount, but notice almost instantly afterwards - then wasting time trying to remove. Of course that normally happens on the last board in the pack.