Ad blocker detected: Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.
Little Miss Disasterwaitingforsomewheretohappen is in trouble again.
Like poor Mary, I Sprained my wrist a few weeks ago. I wa managing fairly OK with a wrist support, but over the last few days it has deteriorated badly (looks like tendonitis), and the joint is now very weak, and I can't put any pressure on it without a lot of pain. I'm managing fairly OK doing many tasks with the left hand (albeit more slowly ), but my attempts at using the Morso are laughable.
Can anyone advise me if it's possible to change the head movement handle / stops for left-handed operation? It looks like it should be possible, but I can't find the manual at the moment, and I don't want to muck about with the machine without knowing what I'm doing. Cheers!
........Áine JGF SGF FTB .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Tried that, Merlin, and it's easy enough to nudge the handle forward with my knee, but moving it back a little for the upswing of the blades is a problem. Any technique refinement pointers?, please?
........Áine JGF SGF FTB .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
It shouldn't be necessary to move the blades back for the upstroke. Every week or two just rub some floor wax onto the outer surfaces of the blades (very carefully with a large bunched up rag) and the blades will slide easily up paste the cut without grabbing!
My thanks to Merlin for the "platinum level" support earlier.
Ormond, thanks for the floor wax tip. I have the idea of the knee-nudging now, and all going well your additional pearl of wisdom should hopefully get me the rest of the way there.
Guys, I think you're great, and I really appreciate you!
........Áine JGF SGF FTB .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Áine,
You're welcome! I'm sorry that you have this injury and I hope you recover quickly.
I've been using 'Johnsons' floor wax since Noah was a boy on all my metal surfaces where wood needs to slip past easily.
When i was making furniture I always used it on thicknessers, jointers, spindle moulders, saw benches, etc etc.
It doesn't take much either. I still have a little left in the original tin I bought back in the mid 70's.
Extremely economical and beneficial!
I keep a stub of a wax candle by the Morso - quick rub of candle wax really makes the cut so much smoother. It doesn't take a lot of wax - couple of strokes on each blade works for me. The frequent lubrication of the moving parts also makes cutting far less "physical" and should help with the Knee technique.
Got some candle stubs in the workshop I'll give that a whirl in the morning. Cheers, Mark!
Can't do anything tonight: not a good place to be for a person with a boredom threshold lower than a gnat's ankles. My friend Mary (whom some of you met at Spring Fair) came in with her brother after hours tonight to book some framing, and I had to ask her to write down the design details for me, and you would not believe how long it's taking me to type my posts!!
........Áine JGF SGF FTB .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
I hope your wrist get better soon. Have you tried heat pads on it, I don't think they necessarily do anything for the healing bit, but they can often make things more comfortable.
Some heat pads are heated in a microwave oven and then just put on the the position which produces the best reduction in discomfort.
Moglet wrote:but over the last few days it has deteriorated badly (looks like tendonitis), and the joint is now very weak, and I can't put any pressure on it without a lot of pain.
One word: Narcotics!
It won't help your production, but on the other hand you won't care anymore.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
It won't help your production, but on the other hand you won't care anymore.
today i was really tempted to go for a drink down the local bar, instead of lunch, my head was spinning with mat and aperture sizes i'll be glad when i can go back to doing some framing,
Like your thinking, Bill, and Lord only knows I need a mental holiday!
Thanks, Mark, for your kind wishes for my healing. The thing that confuses me about various plans of attack when treating bodily problems: e.g. in this case, applying ice packs soothes pain and cools, whereas heat treatment won't reduce the inflammation but will improve blood supply to the damaged tissues.
Body sense would dictate resting the joint and allowing the natural healing response to progress and strengthen the affected area through the natural healing action of the body. Business pressure, conversely, pushes the "blank out the pain enough to start functioning asap, and to frell with the potential mid-long term consequences for the joint."
........Áine JGF SGF FTB .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Body sense would dictate resting the joint and allowing the natural healing response to progress and strengthen the affected area through the natural healing action of the body.
ap, and to frell with the potential mid-long term consequences for the joint."
Aine, when I went to hospital the day after I knackered my wrist, I was told not to strap it up and to use it. By the next day, I had gone to the chemist and bought some Tubigrip. I think the nurse was being sadistic, or else she didn't like Mondays It's been 10 days since I sprained it and I am still strapped up and taking a hot water bottle to bed to lie it on. I find it soothes the joint, or maybe it's soothing me, like a comfort blanket. Managing to work with it, but some movements are extremely painful and by the end of the day, I know I've got a sprained wrist. I used to sprain wrists and ankles all the time when I was a kid, but I don't remember them being this painful. Do we get more wimpy as we get older?
Very sorry to hear that you're still in such pain from your sprain, Mary. With the 20-20 of hindsight, I would have rested mine completely for a few days during the early stages, as carrying on with the work has made mine a thousandfold worse. I can't tolerate any pressure on the joint (worst spot is the part of the wrist joint below base of the thumb, btw).
The troublesome area is the site of a very old injury, and it was giving me a litle bit of gip in the run up to Christmas. It seems that my recent fall has weakened it further.
Mary, take it very easy, and don't do anything even vaguely repetitive without long breaks in between, with appropriate stretching exercises.
As soon as I can manage it, I'm installing air handtools.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
I used to be a ten pin bowling champion in my younger days, well champion may be a bit over the top.... Anyway my wrist used to give me grief so I started to wear a bowling wrist support. Made quite a difference but all depends on what movements are painful.
Older = wimpier ?. Yep, we just think we should be bullet proof.
Had a very lovely new lady customer in today, who turned out to be a physiotherapist, and she has advised me to ice my wrist, as this will help my body to stop "overreacting" to the injury. Great to get a definitive answer for correct treatment!
Thanks for good wishes, Pat!
........Áine JGF SGF FTB .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
We have a neighbour who hurt his left leg and had to have it in plaster.
He found he couldn't drive his car so he adapted his tractor. He welded a bar to the clutch pedal so he could operate that by hand and welded a bracket to the side of the tractor to hold his plastered leg hoizontal.
Quite a sight driving up and down the valley - I do wish I'd taken a photograph.
Anyway, Áine, I was wondering if you like me to ask him to pop over and see you - I'm sure he'd be able to adapt your Morso to left-hand working.