training

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!

training

Post by Guest »

Hi Steven
You know I am playing Devils advocate in posing the questions about training in freds posting - but once or twice now i have come across some alarming facts that indicate that little notice is taken of the FATG despite much effort being put in to define standards. I know for a fact that apprentiships dont figure in the governments modern apprentiship scheme. With the greatest respect to training schools - a photoghraphy C&G course lasting 30 sessions is going to be more effective than a weeks training. If we want to raise standards we should have training of such sufficient depth that the candidate passes with a GCF upon completion of the course. Good example of my views is the website posted in the thread "shot in the dark" diyframing .com - no reference to FATG standards. i know of others that offer training having little experience themselves - unsuprisingly our proffesion can be seen as having "keen amateur" status. Now where is that letter from FATG asking me to renew my subscription?
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

I too, often wonder what the FATG are doing to promote the organisation and to let people know that they exist.

Carrying on from my experiences with mounting on the A level and C & G course.
I have asked all involved if they have ever heard of the FATG and I can honestly say with hand on heart, a resounding NO was forthcoming.

This saddens me for two reasons. On the C&G course, at the moment they are week 11 of 30 (remember £168 worth) and they only spend 30 minutes or so on the topic of mounting their own photographs, not only for their own enjoyment for also for the assessor.
Secondly, the instructors are taught at a highly respected (???) College of Art that has been in existence for some 15 years. Yet senior people in the college have not heard of the FATG. WHY???

At times we (down here) really do think that the England stops at Plymouth. And I make no apologies for repeating again, FATG people take note !!! The Yellow Pages list some 91 Framers/Galleries. Yet there are only TWO GCF's and we live within 15 miles of each other. Plus only 18 or so belong to the Guild.

Sorry I will get off my soap box now and go and bang my head against the brick wall. Maybe not !! I may just take my GCF with me and spend the subscription money on me instead of the people in London.
John GCF
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Training

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Folks,

In my framing school, I have 6 courses, and one of them being a 5-Day Basic -Advanced Skills course. When any person books a cousre with me, they are informed of what equipment is required, i.e. Ruling Pen, Corner Gauge, Rule and GCF Strudy Guide, this is purchesed before they arrive. The first thing any of my students are informed of is 'the standard' we are going to be mounting and framing to. They are also given handouts of the Guild's 5 levels of framing, mountborad standards and print standards and shown samples of each, etc. By the end of the 5 days, depending on their own aptitude, experience, etc, they should be ready to take the GCF exam and that includes the written section. This course is fully accredited by Fine Art Trade Guild.

They have a lot to take in, in 5 days, but none of my students have failed the test, as yet, but my problem is this, I would like to offer them a test at the end of the course, but I am unable to, simply (as a Guild GCF Tester) myself, I am unable to test them, it just would not be ethical, but I am in the position to offer a 1-Day GCF Refresher Course before any test date. To date I have approx. 12 students taking the GCF test in March 2005, and all have booked the 1-day course. I am also fully booked for 5-Day courses up until the end of February 2005, and then 2 weeks of 1-Day GCF Refresher Courses just before the test date. If required and asked for, a test date can be arranged to suit the candidate, but this entails bringing a tester from across the water, as I am the only one here, but it has been done before and I am sure will be again.

I am also in the fortunate position to be able to offer dedicated GCF Advanced training in Textile Framing and Mount Design & Function, these 2 courses last for 2-Days, each and are geared towards the GCF Advanced modules, where the standard has to be at least Conservation, so I teach to that standard and nothing less. (To offer these dedicated courses, one has to be qualified in the respective module)

Personally I teach using only Conservation / Museum materials, one aspect I have chosen to do. (I also frame to this standard) I take great pride in using this method and place a lot of emphasis on the Guild's 5 Levels of Framing and Mountboard Standards. By the time any of my students leave any of my courses, I at least know they have been taught, informed and have used the best quality materials, methods that are available, what they decide to do in their own workshops, is their own business, but to date, I dont know of any students that have went backwards in materials, methods or standards.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre