Page 1 of 1

offset corners

Posted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 8:59 pm
by fionnuala
i've been off practicing my offset corners for the past couple of wks and feel i have perfected single and double mountboard ones but for the life of me i can't find how to do the following described:

a single mountboard with 2 offsets in one corner

i have a sample that someone showed me ages ago but never wrote it down. :x

instructions gratefully accepted!!!!! :D

Posted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:38 pm
by osgood
Sounds like a rectangular opening where only one of the corners has two 'steps' inside the opening!
If this type of mat is difficult for you, look for someone with a CMC that can cut them for you!

Posted: Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:14 am
by prospero
Hi Fionnuala. :D

I think I know whay you mean. Prob is, this sort of thing is near impossible to explain without actually demonstrating it on an actual mountcutter. :? But it's not difficult. Slightly tedious, perhaps. You have to concentrate. The more complex the corner, the trickier it is to visualise the design from the back. :roll:

I used to have a very good book. (lent it to someone - not seen it since).
It's still available from Lion Pic Frames (p.52). It's called 'Modern Matting'.
Not sure if 'modern' still applies to it as it must be 25+years old, but I found it very useful when I started. (damn clever these Americans).
No CMC's in them days. Not many Cs come to think of it. :wink:

Posted: Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:31 am
by prospero
Heres one I did much earlier. I think this came out of same book.

Image

Excuse the bit missing and wonky lines. It has come unstuck in places though handling. No whitecore when I did it either.

Now that one is mind-boggling. More useful for demonstrating cutting techniques than for everyday use. But it's possible on a manual cutter then offset corners should hold no terrors. :)

Posted: Sat 12 Apr, 2008 12:01 pm
by fionnuala
thanks for reply prospero! :D

i think i just need to fiddle around a bit. i'm sure if i keep practicing i will figure it out! as u said it can't be that difficult. just needs a bit of thought.

cheers fionnnuala xx