Ad blocker detected: Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.
I have some ivory miniatures to frame. They were previously glued to mountboard so obviously don't want to do that again.
Customer doesn't want invisible thread used. I'm thinking recessed mount with maybe a couple of dots of clear silicone? She would also like the deep black velvet slip from the original frame reused, so I can't put recessed mount right up against glazing to help keep in place.
Any suggestions gratefully received
20220902_171151.jpg
Megan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ivory is an organic material and the usual thinking of trained conservators in when gluing anything which is organic, to only consider using totally organic based adhesives. Whatever else you may consider, do not use super glue because super glue eats into ivory! These look quite thin and potential quite fragile so care needs to be taken to ensure that there is no possibility of mounting these using anything which can introduce stress over time and therefore fracture the ivory.
I would not be very keep to use a Silicone based adhesive, or sealer as many of these release a very strong concentration of acetic acid, which could have a very significant long term damaging effect on the ivory!
Acetic acid eats into anything which cotains calcium and ivory, or anything made of bone is pretty much mainly calcium, so beware!
Mark Lacey
“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Most of the experienced in conservation framers in the US would use a flap of Mylar film wrapped over the face of the objects with tabs that can be used to secure them from the back of the mountboard. A thin slit in the board allows the tabs to go through the board, much like a pass-through hinge.
That looks interesting Dermot.
Just to clarify, the grab I use is "Bond-It Saves Nails SF" solvent free. It is not completely VOC free but we leave pieces overnight before fitting and have had no issues so far with off gassing. It is reversible in the sense that as the object sits on the adhesive with a little bit of pressure, it can be removed by sliding a blade between the object and the substrate in the future. I might just be digging a hole for myself (if there were more voices on the forum) and it may be totally unsuitable for an organic piece like Ivory.
As these pieces are probably light in weight and porous, I would be interested in testing some gummed tape first (or a methylcellulose paste etc with paper), either as pass-through or hedgehog hinges.
I suppose the two things to be thinking about is reversibility and whether the adhesive is harmless to the ivory.
Reading the blurb on Paraloid they suggest acetone will dissolve the glue.
As I said, I'd be checking that one out with them.
I'd be happier fixing them first to small pieces of mount-board and then fixing these to the main backing board. That way they can be removed safely by cutting away with a sharp blade.
Just remember that in whatever avenue you choose to follow that you have the procedure documented with a written sign off by the owner. This is a no brainer for framers in N America.