Framing a 7" vinyl sleeve...most suitable method
Posted: Sat 17 Dec, 2022 2:56 pm
As some of you are aware, I'm not a framer but more of a crafter. I buy the majority of my frames from either high street retailers or online framing shops.
I have some of my own 7" vinyl art that would like to frame. These vinyl sleeves actually include an imitation vinyl made of a very thick card rather than a plastic vinyl. It is presented in an outer 7" sleeve that includes my own artwork. You don't actually see the vinyl inside apart from the inner label which shows through the cut out in the sleeve. Some frames advertised as specifically for 7" vinyls don't accommodate the actual outer sleeve as it exceeds the vinyl by a few millimeters either side. Rather than have the sleeve in a confined area where it may crease in corners, I would like a gap of at least 1-2cm all the way around the sleeve. I was wondering if using an 8"x8" frame would be more suitable? I don't require a mount for the sleeve either as I'd rather just use strong double sided tape and mount the sleeve directly onto a backing card which I will then place directly onto the backing board of frame. Because these are not expensive rare sleeves applying tape to the sleeve is fine.
Can anyone give advice as to whether an 8"x8" frame would be suitable. Also would deep frames work best or just a standard frame whereby the sleeve is as close to the glass as possible? I'm not looking for anything overly extravagant or high end but something where the sleeve can be seen from different angles rather than in a confined space.
I have some of my own 7" vinyl art that would like to frame. These vinyl sleeves actually include an imitation vinyl made of a very thick card rather than a plastic vinyl. It is presented in an outer 7" sleeve that includes my own artwork. You don't actually see the vinyl inside apart from the inner label which shows through the cut out in the sleeve. Some frames advertised as specifically for 7" vinyls don't accommodate the actual outer sleeve as it exceeds the vinyl by a few millimeters either side. Rather than have the sleeve in a confined area where it may crease in corners, I would like a gap of at least 1-2cm all the way around the sleeve. I was wondering if using an 8"x8" frame would be more suitable? I don't require a mount for the sleeve either as I'd rather just use strong double sided tape and mount the sleeve directly onto a backing card which I will then place directly onto the backing board of frame. Because these are not expensive rare sleeves applying tape to the sleeve is fine.
Can anyone give advice as to whether an 8"x8" frame would be suitable. Also would deep frames work best or just a standard frame whereby the sleeve is as close to the glass as possible? I'm not looking for anything overly extravagant or high end but something where the sleeve can be seen from different angles rather than in a confined space.