Mirrored glass
- Rainbow
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Tue 23 Jun, 2015 8:51 am
- Location: See my name, I'm somewhere over it
- Organisation: Picture sales and framing
- Interests: varied
Mirrored glass
I've to fit a sheet of mirrored glass into an existing frame. The size is roughly 700 x 500mm. The existing frame is quite heavy for me to handle, so I'm hoping that 3mm thickness will be sufficient rather than 4mm due to the weight, but I thought I'd better ask. It's for a domestic setting.
- Tudor Rose
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 4:07 pm
- Location: Dawlish, South Devon
- Organisation: The Framing Lot
- Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.
- Contact:
Re: Mirrored glass
3mm should be absolutely fine at that size.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Adv Textile, Adv Mount Design & Function & Adv Conservation
Forum Moderator & Industry Educator
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Chair & Master 2019-2022
Adv Textile, Adv Mount Design & Function & Adv Conservation
Forum Moderator & Industry Educator
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Chair & Master 2019-2022
- Rainbow
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Tue 23 Jun, 2015 8:51 am
- Location: See my name, I'm somewhere over it
- Organisation: Picture sales and framing
- Interests: varied
Re: Mirrored glass
That's a relief, thanks for the reassurance 
- Tudor Rose
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 4:07 pm
- Location: Dawlish, South Devon
- Organisation: The Framing Lot
- Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.
- Contact:
Re: Mirrored glass
You're very welcome 
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Adv Textile, Adv Mount Design & Function & Adv Conservation
Forum Moderator & Industry Educator
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Chair & Master 2019-2022
Adv Textile, Adv Mount Design & Function & Adv Conservation
Forum Moderator & Industry Educator
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Chair & Master 2019-2022
- prospero
- Posts: 11698
- Joined: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 4:16 pm
- Location: Lincolnshire
Re: Mirrored glass
As long as the frame is perfectly flat. 3mm glass will bend to fit in a warped frame and can produce weird
distortions. In clothes shops they would often wedge a matchstick under the rebate to make a 'slimming' mirror.
distortions. In clothes shops they would often wedge a matchstick under the rebate to make a 'slimming' mirror.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
- Rainbow
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Tue 23 Jun, 2015 8:51 am
- Location: See my name, I'm somewhere over it
- Organisation: Picture sales and framing
- Interests: varied
Re: Mirrored glass
That's a good point, prospero, thanks. I've tested it for flatness and fortunately it's fine 
