Page 1 of 1

Sort of stained glass pane

Posted: Fri 12 May, 2023 12:56 pm
by Miss Eclipse
6CD57D41-3B47-4FBD-BACE-D98DBF111ECE.jpeg
70D319DA-4F97-4FA5-8B33-A7ACE567FDEF.jpeg
Hi
A regular client brought this small piece of glass and wants it framed like the top photo example so he can see through it. What sort of moulding do I use?
Thanks

Re: Sort of stained glass pane

Posted: Fri 12 May, 2023 3:30 pm
by Gesso&Bole
This is usually done with a plain wooden batten, and then use a router to cut out a channel for the glass to sit in. The frame is then joined afterwards using side pinning or a spline. This way it looks good from both sides.

Re: Sort of stained glass pane

Posted: Fri 12 May, 2023 5:21 pm
by Miss Eclipse
That makes sense and sort of the answer I was thinking. I spoke to the Fine Art dept at Wessex today and she suggested a shallow regular moulding then a thin spacer moulding on the back. But it doesn’t seem to me to be the neatest way.

I have a friend who restores sash windows so he might be able to give some advice and has something to do this channel in the middle.

I got some suggestions from Reddit for suppliers on their framing sub but I guess the suppliers are in the US.

Re: Sort of stained glass pane

Posted: Fri 12 May, 2023 6:05 pm
by vintage frames
Another idea is to use R&H, A113 OAK.
Make the frame to hold the glass object.
Fix it in place by using F1 OAK spacer glued into the rebate.
Cap the base with F3 Oak, to cover the base and spacer.
If the spacer protrudes the base because of the glass thickness, use a Stanley knife to pare away the excess.
Since the frame is going outside, oak is the best timber to use.