Price for 140x99cm frame?

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Davie000
Organisation: forthart framing
Interests: Taking care of business

Price for 140x99cm frame?

Post by Davie000 »

Wondering if anyone can give me an idea of your cost for this?
140x99 cm 34mmx27mm ash frame, lime waxed and jumbo board, art is a dyptich 5mm gap floating on foam board hedgehog mounted, econo space 2mm glass and corridor back, taped and strung?....... just wondering if my pricing is wrong. Any help appreciated thanks.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Price for 140x99cm frame?

Post by pramsay13 »

It's hard to tell if your pricing is wrong when you haven't disclosed your price.
Davie000

Post by Davie000 »

Yeah remiss of me, just under £220.....
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I work from home workshop with very low overheads, but I am around £300 on that.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Davie000

Post by Davie000 »

Thanks for your reply, this customer is regular repeat, shop price is a tad over £300 this customer is heavily discounted, however not happy with the price increase, tried to explain everything in this industry has had significant price increases, and I have little choice but pass at least part of that on, cutting my own profit...I feel the price I have given is excellent value... and a frame that size is not a five minute job.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I'd be a bit more, I'd say at least £250, £220 is a good price for your customer
iorek
Organisation: A Picture Framing One
Interests: Sport, Art, Photography,

Post by iorek »

Why is the customer heavily discounted? Genuine question.

FWIW I almost never give a discount and on the very odd occasion I do it's 5% tops and only on part of an order (for example if I have some leftovers from other jobs and don't have to order stuff in).
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

The guy just wants to compare prices.

Who gets discounts, how big and why would make for an interesting new topic though.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Davie000

Post by Davie000 »

Thanks for the replies, I give out such a discount to this particular customer as they spend around 14k a year and I'm not in the business of robbery just try to give good honest value for money using quality materials. Cost of materials unfortunately have to be passed on.i just wanted to check with the good people here if my price is unreasonable or not. Thanks.
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Davie000 wrote: Sat 01 Jul, 2023 9:23 am this customer is however not happy with the price increase
I find that there is often some price unhappiness on oversize items. Particularly when the item is rolled up when they bring it in! These are often the same customers that can't fit it in their car to get it home . . . They have no concept of the extra costs associated with Jumbo boards, and oversize glass etc

As to discounts, I have a couple of large customers that between them represent 2 days work every week for me. I price their work completely differently to bespoke customers, in that I pass on all the costs I have incurred, inc delivery charges and sundries, and then charge them an hourly rate to cover the (small) overheads, such as machine maintenance, and the amount I wish to earn. Fortunately I have a relationship with these customers where I tell them the price once it is done - this in itself saves loads of time for the customer and for me.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Davie000

Post by Davie000 »

I'm the same, I do about 2.5-3 day's a week for one customer and price as you do, this particular customer I have absorbed the increases to a point I can no longer sustain. As you say they have no concept of oversized frames, I can put them together relatively fast, but glue underpinning the frame wrap it for super tight joins, leave 24 hours sand all corners apply lime wax, cut both glass and back, hedgehog art onto foam board set onto cut jumbo make up ecospacer then clean and assemble tape up and sundries fitted... reading this back I don't think I have been unreasonable in my pricing up.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

The price is the price for you to make an honest living and put bread on the table. Do not underrate your services just because the client wants a deal.
Do not be ashamed of raising your prices to cover the current inflation of the economy.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com