Float Mounting Large Heavy Drawing?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Foresty_Forest
Organisation: Forest Arts
Interests: Painting and Art

Float Mounting Large Heavy Drawing?

Post by Foresty_Forest »

I'm float mounting a large drawing on very heavy watercolour paper. What should I use to attach the paper to the backing board?

Incidentally, please could I have advice on the size of gap between moulding and drawing?

Thanks
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Float Mounting Large Heavy Drawing?

Post by Justintime »

I would use the hedgehog technique if you don't want a shadow gap around it. If you do want a shadow gap, then I would mount it to a slightly smaller fallout with reversible hinges and then EVA glue that board to an undermount.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Size of gap between work and moulding is purely a design aesthetic. What do you think looks best? What does your customer prefer? In my experience, the customer will almost always look to you for design guidance, which they don't always follow but it speaks volumes about your work if you have a preference for a piece. With a large piece I always ask about the future placement of the piece too and if there are any final size considerations.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

The amount of space around artwork should be the same as it would be if mounted in a window mount.

If raised ( a “pedestal” float mount) it can cast shadows, which can make the art look off centre if the mount width is too narrow.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.