Page 1 of 1

Float Mounting Large Heavy Drawing?

Posted: Mon 03 Jul, 2023 10:23 am
by Foresty_Forest
I'm float mounting a large drawing on very heavy watercolour paper. What should I use to attach the paper to the backing board?

Incidentally, please could I have advice on the size of gap between moulding and drawing?

Thanks

Re: Float Mounting Large Heavy Drawing?

Posted: Mon 03 Jul, 2023 11:21 am
by Justintime
I would use the hedgehog technique if you don't want a shadow gap around it. If you do want a shadow gap, then I would mount it to a slightly smaller fallout with reversible hinges and then EVA glue that board to an undermount.

Re: Float Mounting Large Heavy Drawing?

Posted: Mon 03 Jul, 2023 11:25 am
by Justintime
Size of gap between work and moulding is purely a design aesthetic. What do you think looks best? What does your customer prefer? In my experience, the customer will almost always look to you for design guidance, which they don't always follow but it speaks volumes about your work if you have a preference for a piece. With a large piece I always ask about the future placement of the piece too and if there are any final size considerations.

Re: Float Mounting Large Heavy Drawing?

Posted: Mon 03 Jul, 2023 2:14 pm
by JKX
The amount of space around artwork should be the same as it would be if mounted in a window mount.

If raised ( a “pedestal” float mount) it can cast shadows, which can make the art look off centre if the mount width is too narrow.