Single Use Plastic Packaging.

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Single Use Plastic Packaging.

Post by Justintime »

Anyone using Lions for mouldings will have received them wrapped in bubble wrap (reusable) and then removed them from what's best described as a sleeve of plastic. Obviously off a machine roll of plastic sleeve. I think that this plastic came about during the world cardboard shortage in 2021(?) so they probably have a bit of stock of it to get through.
My issue is that it's not easily reusable and therefore becomes a single use plastic heading directly into landfill with me as it's end user.
Our trade waste agreement comes with (single use) plastic bags at around £4.50 a pop, destined for landfill. Three of these plastic sleeves is almost a bag full in itself.
I've decided to send them back to Lion's for reuse, when I collect 6 of them at a time, addressed to Nicola Harrold, requesting that they be put back into the system for reuse. I'd prefer to pay for the postage for reuse than for waste collection.
Hopefully we all know about the evils of plastic and the blight that it has become on this planet, so I'm not intending on lecturing Nicola on the subject, but just as Wessex delivery service are happy to collect glass cardboard boxes for reuse, I am going to return the sleeves for reuse.
This will obviously have more impact if more people are willing to do it. It's a long road ahead, ridding the world of petrochemical by products, one step at a time. Anyone want to join in?
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Justintime

Re: Single Use Plastic Packaging.

Post by Justintime »

Well that really stirred things up didn't it! :lol:
Justin George GCF(APF)
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

I don't buy in pre-finished mouldings so I have no experience of the type of packaging you're talking about.
But I think it's all a result of framers complaining about the condition of mouldings received through the couriers.
I'd imagine Lion were trying to give as much protection as possible before dispatch.

When the mouldings are dispatched from the factories, they come machine wrapped for adequate protection. The distributor then has to split the pack and re-wrap the lengths for further dispatch and then let the couriers get to work on them.

Of course, if you were to only buy plain-wood mouldings from say, R&H, they would come sustainably wrapped in lots of corrugated cardboard which you could then re-use for packing or dispose of onto your compost heap - you do have one?
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

One heap and two Daleks!!
During the cardboard shortage, they sent a mailout to say that they were being forced to move over to plastic sleeves as a temporary measure until the supply chain caught up and they could return to cardboard packaging.
Justin George GCF(APF)