Does anybody else have this affliction 😂
I’m trying to have a clear out but the affliction is getting worse 🙄
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Re: “I’ll keep that… it come in handy!”

Post by Rainbow »

I view it as a blessing rather than an affliction :D

I've often had cause to be thankful that I've kept something from years ago, sometimes even decades ago. As long as you've got the space to store it in an organised way and can easily retrieve it when you want it, it seems very sensible to me. You can justify it by thinking it's environmentally friendly not to throw things out that might be useful!

It's only a problem if you haven't got enough space and then it becomes clutter which sadly has to be got rid of. Is that why you're having to have a clear-out, Parm?
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

I like the “if it’s not valuable, useful or beautiful” principle, unfortunately my wife adds two more “ul”s.
Sentimental and potential!
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I have a BIG shed full of 'useful' bits. It's 30ft long and 12ft wide. Most of it is the remnants of a job lot of moulding
I bought in 2006. I've cherry-picked all the good stuff and used it. The rest is stuff that is perfectly good but I just have
no use for nowadays. Also vast heaps of boxes full of short bits that I occasionally use. Some of it goes back to the '70s. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Parm
Organisation: Studios
Interests: Classic car restoration

Post by Parm »

Hi
I got so many off cuts of moulding, glass, mount board that I've kept - and do sometime use, but not quickly enough ! The 'useful' bits just keep piling up.
Most likely, the day after i throw some old bits away, a customer will come in asking for it!
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

We had Standard Operating Procedures for off cuts.

On the left hand Morso support leg (a heavy cardboard tube), we had three dotted lines with a note above each.

Put back on shelf
Put in offcut box
Hoss it out.

We had a tote box for mount board and anything above about A4 that fitted in it, went in it. Glass - again anything under around A4 got tossed. Skinny foam board strips were kept for deep wrapped bevels.

When the buckets and boxes started getting a bit too full we’d have mad afternoons making little ready mades and toss anything unused - or if too busy, just toss the lot. We also bundled similar sized boards together and sold them in the shop for not very much at all, to crafters etc.

When we retired I bought this chipper, it’ll do up to 50mm and I really wish I’d had one at the shop!

(Do you like the view from my man cave?) :-)
Attachments
IMG_9863.jpeg
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

There's a local bar getting a full refurb, they came in recently looking about 60-70 little things framed, varying colours in mounts and mouldings. Needless to say I could have kissed him, I have that much stuff that I've kept over the years, I was on the verge of dumping the lot recently but I'm glad I didn't. Trust in the process :)
fine-art-trade-guild
Organisation: Fine Art Trade Guild
Interests: Encouraging and promoting the best in art and framing

Post by fine-art-trade-guild »

This sounds like an excellent topic for the Art & Framing Today Magazine.

We've been guilty of keeping stuff we don't need on the off chance it will be useful. It never is.

At our shop we are embarking on our third refit in 26 years. This one is a major one and the whole place is being gutted, so it's a perfect opportunity to get rid of old stock - 120 days out until it begins but we've already thrown out or donated so many items that we've never used in what feels like decades.

Grahame,

FATG Social Media Team
The Fine Art Trade Guild is owned and run by its members, and for the benefit of its members. These members share a common goal, which is to promote and encourage the best in art and framing.
https://www.fineart.co.uk