Float mounting client complaint

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Vizability Framing
Organisation: Vizability Framing
Interests: Framing, printing, design

Float mounting client complaint

Post by Vizability Framing »

Hi All,

Can I ask for your advice on an issue with a client's job?

We framed his 3 large prints (765mm x 1020mm) floating on 5mm foam board with loop hinges using PH7-70 tape from Lion (https://www.lionpic.co.uk/p/9656/PH7-70 ... x-66m-roll) placed every 70mm all around the foam board (nothing in the middle).

We placed some weight on top of the prints for some time to make sure it adhered properly.

We took pictures of the mounted artworks which looked perfect.

The client picked up the frames about 3 weeks ago and sent them to France (I don’t know how yet).

He unwrapped the frames and realised the prints are bulking and some parts are coming off the mount board, he sent me some pictures and it does look bad.

He is obviously disappointed and wants us to find a way to fix it or refund the frames and his prints…

Could you let me know your thoughts on this issue?

Could it be a transport/temperature issue?

Are we at fault?

Many thanks,

Amelie
prospero

Re: Float mounting client complaint

Post by prospero »

Every 70mm? That's too many. Also that tape is too strong. P90 would work better.
Two hinges at the top and maybe two at the side toward the bottom which should
be 'loose', that is formed so they allow lateral movement but hold the print down.

It's a bit of a optimistic expectation to float mount a piece of paper that size. :roll:
Transporting it by courier would not help.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

In my experience, using a self adhesive like this it's likely to happen as you describe sooner or later. The fact that they have been sent to France in Summer where there will have been a rapid change in temperature and humidity has meant that it has happened sooner. The self adhesive has dried out and failed. Sorry to say... :(
Rehinge around edges with an acid free white gummed tape at the least, or with paste and japanese hinges, depending on the level that you're working to. Look up the Hedgehog technique or " Float Mounting of Art on Heavy Paper" I think Lion call it on their website PUB047 is the worksheet number.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Did your client tell you to whole story when the order was processed regarding the final destination? Did you ask this question to the client?

This should be part of the "consulting" part of developing a quote for a customer.
BTY, I never use self adhesive tapes on art.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

There is only so much you can do at the time of taking orders.

Once I got a multi aperture photo job back - every photo was wrecked. The question I should have asked was …. “will you be putting this in the boot of your car, driving straight home and hanging it as soon as you get home; or might you put it face up on the back seat of your estate car, then call at your friends place for a barbecue and leave it there in this searing heat multiplied x10 in the car for 6 hours”?

They all buckled upwards and melted on to the glass.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
WannabeFramer
Organisation: Arlais Framing
Interests: Arts, crafts, framing and walking

Post by WannabeFramer »

If it isn’t going too far off topic, what did you do about it JKX?
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

Customer realised that was a bit silly. Luckily they were all recently taken photos, they were reprinted and I just replaced them, had to scrape the old ones off the glass, I didn't charge anything but may well have if it was conservation glass.

I think it's fair to assume that what we frame is to be hung in the very near future and locally, or at least fairly locally and I thnk if that is not the case, or in this case, extremely not the case, then the customer has a responsibility to let you know. Shippimg to France? I wouldn't be happy float mounting anything, let alone something that size, for that.

Not a very good method anyway mind, regardless.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Vizability Framing
Organisation: Vizability Framing
Interests: Framing, printing, design

Post by Vizability Framing »

Thank you very much all for your help and feedback!
Lots to learn still!
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Vizability Framing, food for thought.

'The last one with the ball is tagged "it" '. You are the last one with the ball, AKA the customers artwork. :wink:
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com