Wiping dust from photographs

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Re: Wiping dust from photographs

Post by Rainbow »

JFeig wrote: Fri 15 Sep, 2023 5:47 pm I do not think there is any water in canned air. Just propellent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_duster
That article says that there IS liquid in the can:

When using canned air, it is recommended to not hold the can upside down, as this can result in spraying liquid on to the surface.

The grenade I use is very similar to the rocket blower that Chris_h recommends. No risk of moisture.
WannabeFramer
Organisation: Arlais Framing
Interests: Arts, crafts, framing and walking

Post by WannabeFramer »

Thank you all, really appreciate it. Just an update.

The photographer kindly agreed to send a replacement photo at half price, rather than insisting I purchased two as they had originally said, and there was a spare that I could use to finish the framing while I wait for it to arrive. (It makes sense, promise.) The customer has now collected both pieces (with minute inspection but passed without comment so fingers crossed).

My little haul arrived and I didn't trust the canned air duster, so that is being put to keyboard cleaning duties instead.

The big soft brush and the nozzle of the small blower brush seemed to work best, and I switched to microfibre cloths to touch the glass rather than paper towel. I think these will be my go-to for the time being.

When the replacement photo arrives, I doubt I will be asked to frame it but you can't win them all. I hope I kept my head high and professional....

I will definitely look at the blowers and anti-static brush mentioned when I have a few more pennies.

Onwards and upwards.......
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks for reporting back, and glad to hear that the situation has resolved satisfactorily.
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

Canned air - I always started the air stream (can neither shaken nor stirred) on my arm, to get rid of any propellent, and to confirm the output pressure. Used this for many years on photographic film.
Compressor - oil free, with moisture trap - again, start on arm for pressure control. Used this for many many years on photographic film.
Rocket blower - useful, but if I'm not concentrating, I've been known to hit the thing being dusted with the nozzle of the blower!

Application tape - used in sign making, very much like a giant roll of masking tape. Very useful for blowing dust from frames / prints / machines onto. Pull out a section (say 2x3') and place adhesive up on bench, and tape into place with masking tape. Then using compressor, get dust to fly onto it.
shogunswb
Organisation: Anim8design
Interests: Fishing

Post by shogunswb »

I haven't read through all the replies but being a photographer as well as a printer & framer I use a good quality camera lens cleaning brush by Giottos like the one here:

Don't worry about the blower & other stuff with it unless you want it for a camera but I find that the brush removes dust from the surface of our prints very well without damaging the surface.
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Post by silvercleave »

I use a pheasant feather to dust off bits, workrs for me, but then don't get many duff mounts from photographers

Keep well

Ian M
Miss Eclipse
Organisation: In the Frame
Interests: Art

Post by Miss Eclipse »

I actually use a small hand held vacuum.....cue many on here screaming....”what?!” :roll:

I clean the glass using a glass cleaner and blue paper towel, then go round and round and round with my little vacuum. It works brilliantly. I think I bought it for about £12 from Asda. It has a soft brush attachment so I can very lightly go over mounts etc.

But it really is the best but of kit in my studio!