Gold Slip / Should it touch the artwork?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Blueberrys
Organisation: Blueberrys’s Fine Art Services
Interests: None

Gold Slip / Should it touch the artwork?

Post by Blueberrys »

Hi Guys

I have just joined, so I’m new here.

I wanted to find out if gold slips should directly touch the artwork face.

I asked Centrado, but they didn’t know.

Lion said yes

What do you guys think?

Should there be a barrier such as Linco foil tape between them?

I hope someone out there has the answer.

Many thanks
Nik
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Re: Gold Slip / Should it touch the artwork?

Post by JKX »

If it's conservation standard framing then no, regardless of what it is sealed with - but if a customer insists then the lineco foil tape is probably best to fix them with, as long as they realise it's not conservation level and as long as it's all detailed on the order.

It may be acceptable to put a wooden slip on the top mount of a double mount, and that looks very nice anyway, keep it a good 25mm away from the art and you can even raise it with a spacer between the two mounts.
At the very highest levels of conservation, anything not made completely from conservation standard materials shouldn't be anywhere inside the frame package IMO, a bit like a surgeon picking his nose with a sterilised scalpel before making an incision.

If conservation isn't an issue, fill your boots!

Suppliers know diddly.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Blueberrys

Post by Blueberrys »

Hi John

Thank you so much for the swift reply.

They are humongous oil pastel on paper works in a 46mm x 46mm moulding with a 16mm x 6mm gold Slip in the rebate.

The customer doesn’t want them glazed and wants them pressed up against the the front to look like a canvas.

I’m just worried that it might not be good for the works to sit directly on the back of the Gold slip for a long period of time.

So I wanted to create a barrier either using 1.2cm strips of museum board between the face of the work and the slip or Lineco frame sealing tape.

What do you think?

Many thanks
Nik
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Now we all know the rest of the story.

Oil pastel on paper without ant glazing is a no-go in my book. Even with a binder of oil or wax, it should be protected from the environment.

If you are willing to take on the liability, I would rather use the metal faced tape over the porous 100% cotton board.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
JKX
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

Sorry - I assumed mount slip! It’s a common question for that.

Work on paper needs glass, if customer doesn’t like the look of glass, give them glass they can’t see.
John Turner

vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Your idea of using a mountboard barrier is probably the best,
What harm can it do, even if the slip is an inert material.

If you want to be a bit precious, consider that the pressure adhesive on the foil tape may or may not be to the highest standards of conservation.

When you mentioned - "pressed up against the slips" - I'm hoping that's not the way the artworks are to be supported?
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

The lineco metal tape is designed for sealing the frame rebate to prevent work coming in contact with the wood of the frame and other very specific tasks. When slips require being close to or touching artwork, then the recommended tape is the white acid free gummed paper tape.
It's our responsibility to educate customers as to what is acceptable practice and what isn't. Paper work without glazing is not. Neither is mounting with mountboard and no glazing. We sometimes get asked to do something ridiculous, which sounds perfectly logical to the customer. Just say NO!
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
JFeig

Post by JFeig »

Justintime wrote: Tue 12 Sep, 2023 9:49 am When slips require being close to or touching artwork, then the recommended tape is the white acid free gummed paper tape.
I agree with that comment, MOST if the time. The caveat here is that the slip, fillet, rebate, etc., is that they will be in direct contact with art made with oil pastel. The art might stick, a friable material, to anything else and definitely be abraded with the process of expansion and contraction from season to season.
Jerome Feig CPF®
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Good to know. What do you suggest in that situation? Do we just accept that mountboard will do that too if window mounted? Or do we just float it with that medium?
Justin George GCF(APF)
JFeig

Post by JFeig »

Blueberrys wrote: Mon 11 Sep, 2023 7:24 pm
I wanted to find out if gold slips should directly touch the artwork face.
This comment lets me believe that there is no uncovered surface of the art paper.

This type of request is a "sorry, I cannot help you" situation.
Jerome Feig CPF®
prospero

Post by prospero »

I would be more worried about a work on paper being exposed to the environment. Oils on canvas are durable and
damage can be repaired. But if somebody pokes a hole or scratches an piece of paper it a whole different matter.
Also dust will settle on it and consolidate with the oil and will degrade the painting and it will be nigh-on impossible to clean. :cry:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
JKX

Post by JKX »

Liking this thread :yes:

This really should be treated the same as any other work on paper; ideally it will be mounted/matted and can be held in place with no adhesive at all and nothing in contact bar conservation boards.

Customer doesn't want mount? Problem! Now it needs glass spacers. Problem! artwork should not rest directly on spacers, sealed or not.

Customer doesn't want glass though! PROBLEM - big enough problem to turn it away if customer's informed choice is the same.

If you were to go ahead with customer's choice, I'd not really worry about sealing any slip as it's going to get wrecked anyway!

I think if customer would not budge I'd say fine, I'll rest my case and not do it BUT, what I WILL do if you like, is measure this thing accurately and make you the frame with it's slip and backings, and you put your artwork in, a "Ready-made-to-order" You'll like that because I'll deduct a fitting charge. No? OK - ACME framing down the road, he's your guy, have a nice day. I think I'd also prefer that option to glass, no mat, and spacers, unless they had the artwork dry mounted - or wet mounted, stuck down anyway, I wouldn't be doing that bit.

Regards recommended tapes, I'm not sure who's making any recommendations but a lot of these slips are finished on the back, with bole (or something) and then a laquer/varnish of some sort. Gummed paper tapes won't stick to them and are very thin, so any acids could burn through them quite easily. Lineco (Other brands are available) foil tape has an acrylic adhesive which sticks to that sort of finish (and all others) very well and nothing will get through the metal foil. Mount board can be used of course, still has to be stuck on with something and if finished as described, something spirit based or self adhesive.
I've never used gummed tapes on slips, mount or frame slips.
John Turner

Justintime

Post by Justintime »

JKX wrote: Tue 12 Sep, 2023 2:27 pm
I've never used gummed tapes on slips, mount or frame slips.
You should try it sometime! :lol:
Justin George GCF(APF)
Blueberrys

Post by Blueberrys »

Wow, thank you for all the feedback and suggestions people. I’m a little overwhelmed by the amount of responses I got. Greatly appreciate them all. What a fantastic community.

I 100% agree that oils on paper should be glazed. Floated or mounted and kept away from the edge of the frame. But as it’s not an option for this job.

May main question was about the slips being safe to directly place on the face of the artwork.

Weather your using slips around the edge of a mount window or around the edge of a rebate. They all seem to be made using a red coloured finish underneath the gold leaf. This extends all the way around the moulding. So I was just unsure if this was safe to place directly on the artwork as it would appear they are made with this purpose in mind.

But from my understanding you should not put wood directly on artwork because acid can migrate. So it’s a bit of a contraction. Unless they are manufactured to prevent this from happening. Using the painted finish and varnish. But no one seems to know. Hence maybe putting the foil tape on is the best solution for peace of mind.

Appreciate all the feedback

Many thanks
Nik
JKX

Post by JKX »

Least of the artwork’s concerns left open to the elements really.

The wood, which is sealed inside a coating of bole and then varnished anyway, is side grain; most acid leaks from end grain.

There’s just not much of it either - 6mm thick?

If sealed up inside a glazed package it might be more important to seal it again.

How long have valuable books and documents been stored in wooden cabinets and on wooden shelves for?

How will you mount it and how will the slip be fitted?
John Turner