Framing workshop vs retail - planning restrictions and definitions

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
WannabeFramer
Organisation: Arlais Framing
Interests: Arts, crafts, framing and walking

Framing workshop vs retail - planning restrictions and definitions

Post by WannabeFramer »

So I have an exciting opportunity to apply for a council workshop at a very affordable price. They are like gold dust and I am aware it is very popular, so the council are holding a viewing day and application/selection process.. The successful applicant must provide a business case and demonstrate various things, of which I am confident I can.

In all aspects it is perfect. Just the right size, 5 minutes walk from my house, parking, all services, very low rent and service charge.

But..... retail use is not allowed. It is classed as light industrial.

I don't want to open a shop. I want to have a workshop that isn't in my spare room. But one that I work at for say 2/3 days a week for customers to come and see me, rather than making specific appointments like I do now.

I've found a definition of retail use as: "Retail A1 (generally known as general retail) includes shops, retail warehouses, hairdressers, undertakers, travel and ticket agencies, post offices, pet shops, sandwich bars, showrooms, domestic hire shops, dry cleaners, funeral directors and internet cafes."

I am wondering if my proposed use would fall foul of this? I won't have ready-made items to sell like a shop, but I do need a display area and for customers to come and see me, and also pay for their frames when complete. Which I'm thinking would be the same as a funeral director and showroom.

Any thoughts? Do any of you have 'workshops' rather than 'shops' with a similar restriction?
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Framing workshop vs retail - planning restrictions and definitions

Post by Justintime »

I've met a few framers who run their businesses from light industrial units. Framing is after all manufacturing products from raw materials. Having an office/design space would not make it a retail space.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Some council owned light industrial units have restrictions on allowing customers to visit the premises - ones near us can only work via internet sales for their garden furniture that they make. But that is an unusual restriction, although it is worth checking. This one was put in place to avoid damaging the local high street with effectively an "out of town" development, even though they are over a mile apart!

Effectively you would be carrying out a manufacturing process, so it would be Light Industrial use. We work in an industrial unit and have a design area for customers who visit. We have a very few ready mades available, and of those we have manufactured at least 50% of the range, the rest being Nielsen metal frames. For any of the ready mades we offer to cut mount, change glass and so on, so even for those we are effectively introducing a manufacturing element. Our design process might be slightly different to other small manufacturers on the same business park, but we all make things from component materials.

As long as you are permitted a design counter under their rules, then you should be fine. But I would suggest finding a friendly person at the council and having a good chat with them to make sure you know of any restrictions there might be.

Best of luck and I hope you are successful in securing the premises.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Will the council be interested in charging you business rates as well as any rent?
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

If the rateable value is under 12 grand (it will be unless the place is far too big) there are no business rates to pay.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Tudor Rose

Post by Tudor Rose »

And between £12,001 and £15,000 rateable value you can apply for Small Business Rate Relief to reduce any cost.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv

WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Thank you all, that is reassuring to hear and also gives food for thought.

Yes, it qualifies for small business rate relief with zero rates.

A restriction on having customers visit would make it unviable as I have no interest in online sales and the main purpose is to move customers away from my house completely. I want to be able to say 'Open Mondays and Fridays' and have folk wander in with their art within those times. At a pinch I could continue to say 'by appointment' I guess, but it wouldn't be ideal. Mmm......

It doesn't specify other than no retail, personal hobby or storage use so I need to ask that specific question. The other units are not a direct comparison to know for sure (too long a story involving past politics, historic leases and hearsay).

A design counter! That's the phrase I was looking for, thank you! Sounds better than a customer showroom area.

I have two weeks to complete the application form before viewings are allowed so I have time to find out more information. I am in touch with the council officer but it has been rather difficult to get much more information - it is quite notorious (I'm allowed to say that, I am also a Council Officer :-) ). I have been interested in a new small business development that should have been ready in May and have asked repeatedly since March for the lease, legal and charges information in order to know if it would be viable for me. The development is nowhere near finished and I am still waiting for any info.....as are other businesses I talk to. Hence why this could be a much better option for me if I can pull it off.

I am trying so hard not to let my imagination run away with me as these really are sought after...... :lol:

In terms of other costs, I am thinking what I would need to allow for. The initial fitting out, but that would only be another workbench and display boards. Changing my public liability insurance. Anything else I need to factor in?
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

I have had it confirmed that customers are indeed allowed to visit for consultation and collection. :D I would not be allowed a retail shop counter.

Fingers crossed!
Tudor Rose

Post by Tudor Rose »

From memory we had to show we took orders and then customers returned to collect manufactured goods at a later date for the vast majority of what we did. A few pick up items were fine as long as the percentage of that kind of thing as part of our overall sales was low.

Can’t see you having a problem and you should be able to have the sort of opening hours and days you’re looking for.

Will keep fingers crossed for you.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv

WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Thank you, I’ll report back. :mrgreen:
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

"Anything I need to factor in.." Upgrading and adding to your tools, equipment and materials for at least a few years. More training, framing events, books and subscriptions, FATG membership /scholarship, yes public liability insurance and process cover/goods in care cover. Annual website hosting and advertising/marketing costs. Heating, lighting, broadband...
Justin George GCF(APF)
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Thanks Justin

Scholarship/membership - leaflets on my desk. (I did look out for a Justin badge at the Expo on the stand but didn't see one and was too shy to ask if anyone was you :lol: )
Subscriptions - leaflets on my desk, likewise
Training - likewise and ongoing (conservation course booked in October)
Website - covered(must set time aside to do more than a holding page!)
Advertising - under review in the local business pages I've been in. One has had no responses in 6 months so that will probably be jettisoned.
Heating/Lighting - Good shout - no idea of costs for that
Broadband - there is probably none there actually, but that could be a mobile dongle thingamy
Equipment - I guess ongoing? Storage and workbench would be the immediate needs.
Display area - that will need to be a focus too.
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

Non domestic waste collection?
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

I have just set up a contract wheelie bin with the council so can tick that. £4.95 every 4 weeks for the size I have, which didn’t sound too bad. :D

I am jumping ahead of myself far too much and find myself detouring the dog past there each day :giggle:
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

My council charges approx £200pa now for trade Waste. You'll mainly be needing to recycle your backing board and cardboard packaging, mountboard and packaging paper and glass offcuts. Wessex provide a glass recycling contract as I'm sure other glass suppliers must.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

WannabeFramer wrote: Sun 01 Oct, 2023 8:34 am Advertising - under review in the local business pages I've been in. One has had no responses in 6 months so that will probably be jettisoned.
I've had good responses from advertising in a local parish magazine. Might be worth looking into if you have one.

Signage?
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Well its been a month so a bit of an update. Sort of.

My application went in, including my environmental impact, economic benefit to the community, current set up, projected use, future aspirations - even delivery schedules and the vehicles used. I assume it passed the first stage as I was invited to a viewing.

Good news is, it is nigh on perfect. Once I had measured up I submitted a scale floor plan showing my equipment in support of my application.

Bad news is I am up against 3 other applicants.

The wait goes on..... :sweating:

Oh, and sorry Rainbow, I neglected to reply.

A lot of my business has come through our local business directory magazine so I've taken out a year's advertising. And a couple of shops have my business cards which has generated a lot of enquiries. I've been told I can put up signage on the unit and have an A-frame in the pedestrian alleyway leading from the main road. If I get it......
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Got it!!!

Things just got real. :D
Tudor Rose

Post by Tudor Rose »

Congratulations - now the fun starts! :clap: :clap: :clap: :party: :party: :party:
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv

WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

And the nerves!

Still a couple of legal hoops to jump through but I’m hoping to be in by the end of the year.