advise for a newbie

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Miketheframer
Organisation: snappy snaps soho
Interests: We are a photographic retailer who has seen the demand for custom framing increase rapidly. We love anything photographic

advise for a newbie

Post by Miketheframer »

Hello everyone. First time posting so lets see how this goes. I have just started my own framing business after having some inquiries from some existing customers (I am a photographic retailer) so thought it would be a good tie in partnership. Have purchased all the necessary machines (i think although the choice is a bit overwhelming) and have setup a workshop.
My first job is to frame a flag approx 1500x900mm with a 50mm gap and to have a floating effect. The customer has chosen a deep enough moulding to achieve this. Just wondering what the best way would be to stretch the flag and keep it rigid. Are there any particular techniques you would recommend. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Mike
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: advise for a newbie

Post by JFeig »

If you are referring to a 50 mm border (negative space) between the flag and the frame I would suggest it be wider. The reason is 2 fold. First that is a good size flag and the ratio of the flag (art) to the border is visually small not giving the art enough negative space. I. E. it will look cramped.

Second, the flag might not be perfectly square. A 10 mm variance in the flag will show up easier with a thin border.

Regarding the actual method of attaching the flag to the mount board, sewing is the most common method, both along the border and in the main body of the flag to add support the the center.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Miketheframer
Interests: We are a photographic retailer who has seen the demand for custom framing increase rapidly. We love anything photographic

Post by Miketheframer »

amazing, thank for the tips! Will take this all on board and suggest a larger frame for the customer! I better brush up on my sewing skills now! Will post the end result for any constructive criticsims! Have a good weekend!
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Wow! That's a first job!
I was offered a similar job some time ago. After much research and information provided by experts in groups such as framers only, framing academy etc, I discovered that the sewing work alone was between one and two days, before framing. I think I estimated between £750-£1000 for the job which was realistic for the work involved but sadly beyond the customer's budget.
I hope that helps.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

If that was my first job I’d run!

Then again, back then I didn’t have resources like this; I didn’t have the internet at all! All I had was my local supplier and I know exactly what they would have said, carpet tape and slap it against the glass.

Even 30 years later I would still be wishing they’d gone somewhere else, but I’d do it if their pockets were deep enough

There should be a hem/seam around the whole thing and maybe some cord and eyelets to hang it from, which can be used, and stitches can be concealed under any folds. If you’re lucky there will be seams within it as well.

I would consider a micro tag gun, it may make slightly bigger holes than a normal sewing needle but it’s still holes and they can still be concealed, or at least mostly
It’s not really difficult, just a lot of time.

I’d tag it to 3mm foam board and then bond that to something thicker and stronger to give the space you want as well as strength.
I’d refuse to use glass, it would have to be at least 5mm acrylic and the cost of that alone would make many run.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

After a bit of research on the fb groups, it is called the "screen" method. It consists of strainer bars, some polyester or fibreglass (not nylon) screen material fixed onto the strainer bars, followed by a layer of calico fixed to the bars. The screen can be placed on stands and the flag is methodically sewn through the layers throughout, which gives support to the flag. Wadding can be added if required. The strainer can be removed after sewing or used in the final frame package. This is only a brief synopsis of the technique described.
An additional note made by Rob Markoff is to be aware of the coefficient of expansion of acrylic for a piece this size, " a piece this size can expand over 3/16" which exceeds the standard allowance..."
It is well worth finding my posts dated 15th April 2022 on framers.academy and framers only and having a good read of some of the responses by a few industry experts/teachers.
Justin George GCF(APF)
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I did a flag slightly bigger than that. It was worn and moth eaten so there were bits missing. I got a tailor friend to sew it onto cotton and then stretched that like a canvas. I allowed for around 100mm space around that would be seen plus extra for stretching.
I used 4mm plastic glass and then a spacer, then the flag / cotton (no backing).
It doesn't need to be absolutely rigid as a flag is rarely seen like that.
Miketheframer

Post by Miketheframer »

thanks all for the advise! very helpful and insightful! Do feel like i Have massively uncharged this customer but this learning curve is priceless!
Thanks all!
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

So you went for it then? Respekt!

How? Photos???

John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Imho there is no harm in calling the customer to explain that it is much more involved than you first thought and that the cost will in fact be much higher, should they wish to go ahead with it. It is not an easy phone call, but I have done it. Doing a job at a vastly reduced price makes it memorable for all the wrong reasons...
Justin George GCF(APF)