Page 1 of 1

Unsticking old glue?

Posted: Mon 30 Oct, 2023 1:14 pm
by Miss Eclipse
Hi
I have just purchased a very old cheque (1905) plus receipt an letter which are of family historical value to me. I would like to frame the individual pieces but they are all glued to card.

I have attached photos. The glue seems quite “stuck” and I am unsure how to go about unsticking the items without causing any damage.

Happy to receive advice....or even better someone who is experienced enough to do this (or recommend somewhere). Happy to pay obviously!

Thanks in advance.

Re: Unsticking old glue?

Posted: Mon 30 Oct, 2023 1:31 pm
by vintage frames
I would suggest you gave it to Andrew Wheeler who is in Bristol, so quite near you.

https://www.fine-art-on-paper-restorat ... vator.htm

As the glue is old, it is probably some sort of animal gum, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Re: Unsticking old glue?

Posted: Mon 30 Oct, 2023 2:16 pm
by Miss Eclipse
Oh my goodness I have just looked at their website! Incredible stuff!

Thank you soooooo much! I will give them a call this week.

Re: Unsticking old glue?

Posted: Tue 07 Nov, 2023 5:15 pm
by Miss Eclipse
Update on this. I contacted Andrew who sadly didn’t think he’d be able to do it. But he did suggest I try the Institution of Conservators and look through their list. I have found someone in Devon but again he’s unsure although I have also now been given a heavily stained certificate on parchment which he thinks he can do so I’m going down next week with both. Fingers crossed he can do both.

Re: Unsticking old glue?

Posted: Fri 10 Nov, 2023 4:26 pm
by Justintime
You could also try Kate Armor, who I have used. https://www.armorpaper.co.uk/

Re: Unsticking old glue?

Posted: Wed 15 Nov, 2023 7:18 pm
by Miss Eclipse
Thanks I will give her a call. The guy in Devon could do the other but wasn’t confident about the glue.