Framing insects

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
RaamiDaami Anu
Organisation: RaamiDaamit Oy
Interests: Horses

Framing insects

Post by RaamiDaami Anu »

Hi! I just got pinned insects that I should frame. Any help? Anything I should know about handling old, dried, pinned insects? How to attach them in the frame, so that they don´t swing around, so that they are steadily fastened at their place? Please, advice and help!
Thanks, Anu from Finland
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Re: Framing insects

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Hi Anu

I frame a lot of butterflies, and I would first of all suggest that you discuss this with your client.

I am assuming that these are mounted on pins. Some of the samples may be secure on the pin, or they may be spinning on the pin. If spinning this will need gluing to secure it, but I certainly would not do that without the client's permission. A small amount of clear drying PVA glue or superglue to the bottom of the insect where the pin enters will secure it.

This is non-reversible, so in picture framing terms would not usually be recommended, however it is pretty universal in entomological circles.

As to mounting the pin into the frame the method I use is to glue 5mm foamcore behind mountboard, and then make a hole with another pin, and put a tiny blob of superglue on the hole before inserting the pin. Test this multiple times with spare pins before you work on the final product!
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
RaamiDaami Anu
Organisation: RaamiDaamit Oy
Interests: Horses

Re: Framing insects

Post by RaamiDaami Anu »

Kiitos! This was very helpful and my client is really happy and satisfied. Thanks!