Do you mount to board or barrier?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Zac
Organisation: Self employed
Interests: Art, lit, film, good food, good drink, good gravy! Currently a freelance web developer, transitioning to a freelance framer

Do you mount to board or barrier?

Post by Zac »

Another question on which I'd appreciate the hive mind position.

When window mounting a piece, one colleague always mounts the artwork to mountboard, another mounts the artwork to barrier board (e.g. https://www.wessexpictures.com/barrier_board.html)

Is one method preferable to the other?
Zac
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Re: Do you mount to board or barrier?

Post by JKX »

Artwork should be mounted to an undermount and the thickness. and quality will depend on the level of framing, but it should be sturdy enough for the size of the frame.
The stuff in your link is 600 microns which is flimsy. It may be OK as an additional barrier if acidic backing board is used but there’s no need to use acidic backing these days. It would be fine as an undermount if it comes thicker, 1100 microns and over.

I used to buy one particular colour of 1400
micron conservation board in large quantities for a good discount and used it for undermounts.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

According to the FATG, the undermount should be a minimum of 1100 mic as Roboframer says, but preferably the same thickness as the window mount.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Always mount to an undermount,
I use Munken Duo board.
prospero

Post by prospero »

The 'book' mount is the preferred method of mounting paper items.

In large public galleries only a small percentage of the collection is on display at any given time. The rest is stored
away unframed. In order to facilitate handling the art is mounted in a way that it can be handled without actually touching the
artwork and can be examined by simply flipping the window back.
Hinging to the window mount is bad practice. We all did it when we didn't know better. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Zac
Interests: Art, lit, film, good food, good drink, good gravy! Currently a freelance web developer, transitioning to a freelance framer

Post by Zac »

Interesting, thanks all!

I was kind of using both/either depending on materials/quality but will defo stick to using a proper undermount, and thanks for the tips on keeping the associated costs down too.

@prospero - I'm not sure if the 'book' mount this is a technique I already know by another name or a something I've not learned yet (I am but a newb), is this just where you attach the artwork to the the undermount and the window mount sits over the top?
Zac
prospero

Post by prospero »

A proper 'bookmount' consists of an undermount with a window mount hinged to it. There are many variations according to
the nature of the mounted item.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

@Zac If you imagine the front and back cover of a hardback book, the window mount is the front cover and undermount the back cover. Line them up and tape down the seam, then hinge you work as usual onto the undermount. If it's portrait orientation then the book hinge is taped on the side, if it's landscape it's taped at the top.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Zac

Post by Zac »

Phew, that's a relief as that's how I do it! Hadn't heard it referred to as a 'bookmount'.

Thanks, as ever, for your patient replies, I love this forum 😊
Zac