A+Plus A1-M-XL Underpinner - Are they any good ?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
sburch
Organisation: www.stuartburchphotography.co.uk
Interests: Landscape and Nature Photography

A+Plus A1-M-XL Underpinner - Are they any good ?

Post by sburch »

Hi,

I've recently returned to the world of framing and discovered the unfortunatel demise of Cassese. Like many small framers I have a CS88 which had/has served me quite well and ideally I will maitain subject to availability of spares. My worry though is that these will diminish over time if not already (any suggestions of best sources ?). As a contingnecy I've also been looking at alternatives and have recently seen a used A+Plus A1-M-XL that looks similiar to the CS88 in operation and would fit in my small workshop. Other than being Italian I can find little mention of this brand and/or underpinner model and wondered whether anyone has any experience of them and/or compared to the Cassese or the known brands.

Any advice gladly recieved !

Many Thanks
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: A+Plus A1-M-XL Underpinner - Are they any good ?

Post by Justintime »

Best sources for cassese parts, probably underpinner-spares.co.uk or framersequipment.co.uk
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Mark Thornton
Organisation: Underpinner Spares
Interests: Red wine - lots and lots of it.

Re: A+Plus A1-M-XL Underpinner - Are they any good ?

Post by Mark Thornton »

A+Plus are the original owners of Alfamacchine (before they sold the business to the Fletcher Terry group) so have many years of producing well made robust equipment, saying that though the A1-M-XL is the old 1M Minigraf and is very clunky in operation with a very heavy mechanical action.

The Cassese Cs88 is by far the best foot operated underpinner ever made with a lovely smooth pulley action which produces superior joints to the A+

Spare parts are not an issue: https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk/co ... /cs88-cs89

Mark
https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk Framing equipment spare parts - Easy online ordering