Display options

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
barrulestudio
Organisation: Barrule Studio
Interests: Artist - painting.

Display options

Post by barrulestudio »

Good day. I am busy setting up a framing business. I have been trying to find the best way to display my moulding samples. Wessex sell a display stand, but it is £887 before VAT. I tried using a room divider with Valcro strips down it but the samples are too heavy and it looks tacky. I don’t have a lot of wall space. Any suggestions, please?
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Re: Display options

Post by JKX »

A sliding door room divider? That’s a good idea to save space, if against a wall you have that plus the doors in front of it.

Just use display fabric like this, black looks best IMO.

https://www.fabricuk.com/fabrics/452-di ... ptive.html

Some framing suppliers sell it as “display fabric” or something like that but check prices and VAT. There’s a self adhesive version too.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

If you are going to use display fabric then the self adhesive version is the way to go. But you will need to bond it down under a good amount of pressure to make it last properly. We ran our boards through our jetmounter.

https://larsonjuhl.co.uk/other-products ... y-fabrics/
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Miss Eclipse
Organisation: In the Frame
Interests: Art

Post by Miss Eclipse »

I use carpet tiles glued to my walls so they could work on a wall divider? The Velcro sticks well to them and as long as the spray adhesive you use on the wall is strong, they should stay up no problem.

I have three areas with chevrons on with either dark blue or grey carpet tiles. I got them from a local carpet guy (found on an industrial estate) and they were ones he had surplus. Cost me about a tenner per area which worked out pretty cheap. He sold me a can of carpet adhesive too. I have one of my tables covered in carpet tiles so when I’m working on the back, it’s not scratched by anything. Works well for me!
prospero

Post by prospero »

I have 1" x ¼" wooden strips screwed to the wall and covered in velcro 'loop' tape. All the chevs hang in a neat line and it's very cheap. :D
A staple here and there stops the tape from pulling off.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I used Lions moulding corner display strips together with their spring pegs and angles for screwing to the back of the moulding chevrons. Some might think that they are a little bit pricey but I only bought 4 strips. I like the fact that everything hangs straight due to gravity and it's easy to set the spring pegs for neat vertical spacing,
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I have a Selwyns display tower for sale. These are silly money new, but do look very smart.
I’d be looking for £400 for it. (There are 2 in the picture but I only have one available) Could deliver for cost in the Midlands. Not available until late May as I am away for a month in Italy.
Attachments
9C0E99E7-8675-49DC-B1F7-5D0C52E1D8E9.jpeg
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/