Epson Printers - Waste Inkpad Modification

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Epson Printers - Waste Inkpad Modification

Post by Moglet »

Hi all,

After a fair bit of frustration, a lot of Googling, and even more unnecessary effort, I solved my Epson R200 protection counter problems tonight, and saved myself the cost of either repairing or replacing a perfectly functioning printer, plus I have not wasted money on the clatter of spare ink cartridges I have in stock. I thought my findings might be useful to others.

There are a number of large, bulky pads (rather like incontinence pads) located in the bottom housing of the printer, designed to soak up/evaporate waste ink. They are not accessible without effectively dismantling the printer; not a job for the fainthearted, and also not a necessary job.

The protection counter is set in the printer's EEPROM, and is designed to make money for Eps.... er... prevent overflow of waste ink from the printer once the pads are full.

For anyone using this printer (also the Stylus Photo 210, and possibly other models), here are some tips that may save you time, frustration, service fees, and messy fingers.

1. Get yourself a Resetter program for your printer model now. (Various ones around, some better than others.)

2. Make a little waste ink reservoir (read 'clear plastic tub with two holes in the lid'). Take the repair hatch off the back of your printer, fish out the ink waste tube with a long tweezer or needle-nosed pliers, and pop it through one of the holes in the lid. This eliminates the need for waste inkpad replacement, although you will need to keep an eye on the volume of ink in the reservoir and empty it now and again. (Example picture here.)

3. When you eventually get the "Service Required - parts in your printer are reaching the end of their service life...." error message, run the resetter program immediately. Power cycle the printer for the reset to take effect. (If you leave it until the printer ceases to operate, you will get alternately flashing red LEDs, and it can be a complete pig to get it to reset.)

You can find a source for the Epson R200 service manual here. It includes a full list of LED error states.

Rant. Upon inspection, hardly any of the inkpads in my printer were soiiled, and they were almost completely dry to the touch. I'm very annoyed that this printer was designed to cease functioning in order to prompt (potentially) unnecessary, and chargeable, repairs. :twisted:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Roboframer

Re: Epson Printers - Waste Inkpad Modification

Post by Roboframer »

Áine you should get that gizmo patented - 'The Printer Catheter' -

Great post!
Mike@GTP
Organisation: Get The Picture Framing & Thegrumble.com
Interests: Framing, technology, electronics. Computer consultant, 3d printing enthusiast, and framer

Post by Mike@GTP »

Isnt it crazy how the epsons waste so much ink to go from matte to glossy black?

We have an Epson 4880 and wish they had designed it to hold one more cartridge.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

Mike@GTP wrote:Isnt it crazy how the epsons waste so much ink to go from matte to glossy black?

We have an Epson 4880 and wish they had designed it to hold one more cartridge.

There's a simple way around the ink wastage problem. Buy two printers. :D
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status