Page 1 of 1

Hanging advice

Posted: Thu 24 Sep, 2026 5:21 pm
by Tw_1984
I'm after some hanging help, please.

I've got this mirror, I'm not sure what the frame is made of - maybe some sort of resin?

Someone has nailed in a little hanging plate, but it seems precarious. I want to work out how to hang it as safely and securely as possible.

The wood pieces holding the frame to the mirror glass look rickety, but are pretty secure. I'm not worried about the frame separating from the mirror.

The orange backing is the mirror, so my thought is that I could use epoxy glue to attach a split batten to the back of the mirror and could hang it that way.

It's about 4kg, approx 70cm x 30cm.

I've never done anything like this so am open to suggestions, solutions and recommendations for epoxy glue (if my technique is a go-er).

IMG_9837.jpeg
IMG_9839.jpeg
IMG_9838.jpeg

THANKS
Tom

Re: Hanging advice

Posted: Sat 26 Sep, 2026 9:30 am
by vintage frames
That's as good an idea as any.
Attach a baton to the mirror. You could even use silicone or as you suggest epoxy glue.
Maybe squirt some silicone around the wooden pieces holding in the mirror and even around the rebate.
That should hold everything in place.

Re: Hanging advice

Posted: Sat 26 Sep, 2026 11:46 am
by Tw_1984
Thank you for the reply, vintage frames.

When people refer to silicone on the forum here are they referring to the silicone I’d use for home diy projects — silicone sealant that comes in tubes? Or is there something more specific I should be using?!

Re: Hanging advice

Posted: Sat 26 Sep, 2026 12:39 pm
by vintage frames
Yes, its the standard clear silicone which comes in squeezy tubes.
Better to buy the good quality stuff from somewhere like Screwfix. Usually called glaziers silicone.

I'd definitelyy go round the edge of the mirror with the silicone, that way the mirror is holding the frame up.
Test a bit of the silicone by sticking a piece of wood to some glass and leave overnight so as to reassure yourself as to its strength.

Re: Hanging advice

Posted: Sat 26 Sep, 2026 4:33 pm
by Tw_1984
Thank you - makes sense.
I appreciate your help!