Page 1 of 1
problems cutting deep mouldings
Posted: Tue 29 Sep, 2026 5:59 pm
by Zac
Hi all,
I'm having some trouble getting clean cuts on deep (40+ mm) mouldings with my Morso F, the blades are freshly sharpened (though a bit on the short side) and appear to be aligned correctly, but I'm getting quite a lot of 'tearing' on both soft and hard woods.
Any tips/tricks/things to I should be watching out for?
Cheers,
Zac
Re: problems cutting deep mouldings
Posted: Wed 30 Sep, 2026 3:54 pm
by Justintime
Can you share some pics of the issues?
Re: problems cutting deep mouldings
Posted: Wed 30 Sep, 2026 4:21 pm
by pramsay13
Search through the forum for morso issues and have a look and see if any match your problem.
It could just be a bad batch of cheap moulding that won't cut right and needs binned.
It could be your morso needs adjusted by the screw on the bottom that moves the blades back a bit so they a fully through the back of the moulding.
It could be blades haven't been sharpened correctly.
What if you put a bit of scrap backing just behind the moulding and adjust the cut accordingly, does that help as a stopgap?
Re: problems cutting deep mouldings
Posted: Thu 01 Oct, 2026 10:31 am
by Zac
Thanks guys,
Pic below, it's Tulip wood for info:
WhatsApp Image 2026-10-01 at 10.55.26.jpeg
I had a look through the forum and looks like I'm getting similar issues to some others. I tried putting some mountboard against the fence and this did help, but didn't resolve it.
I've since changed my blades as I think these may now be too short, see pics below... how short is too short? These are embarrassingly short so I think it's time to invest in a new set, the replacements I've used are only about 10mm longer.
WhatsApp Image 2026-10-01 at 11.24.04.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2026-10-01 at 11.24.04 (1).jpeg
I was unaware of this "screw on the bottom that moves the blades back a bit" ... where is this, could someone provide a pic?
Re: problems cutting deep mouldings
Posted: Thu 01 Oct, 2026 2:14 pm
by Fruitini
Mark @ TGS Repairs told me that once they get to 70mm or under they need replacing. Sounds like these are end of life to me.
Re: problems cutting deep mouldings
Posted: Thu 01 Oct, 2026 3:00 pm
by JFeig
The adjustment screw for depth of cut is a hand workable block with a hand turnable "T" handle that is attached to the vertical connection rods between the head and the foot peddle. It is reachable from the back of the machine about halfway down the rod/bar.
Your blades are definitely past their useful life with only about 8mm of hardened tool steel left on the blades. The line across the length @ 1 cm of the beveled portion of the blade marks the braised/weld joint. The blades are made from tool steel welded onto a base of basic soft steel(this is the portion where the attachment holes are).
Re: problems cutting deep mouldings
Posted: Thu 01 Oct, 2026 3:09 pm
by Zac
Thanks all, have invested in a new set of blades, as someone else noted in another Morso Issues thread, "If you're not excited you're in the wrong business" ... excited I am!