Twist or Stick?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
evanstheframe

Twist or Stick?

Post by evanstheframe »

This is my second post to the forum and yet again I am after advice. My first post about the Morso F gave me good answers so here I am again.

Firstly let me explain my situation.
I have been framing my own paintings for a year or so now. I have built up a selection of tools for the job ie framing guns, glass cutter etc and fittings. Cassese 79 underpinner. Laser saw and bench guillotine. Fletcher frame mate mount cutter.
Last year I treated myself to a 16"x 12" log cabin built in my garden as the garage was to small. I still do my cutting in the garage because of the dust. I use the Cabin as my art studio and fit, mount and glaze my frames there.
Now I frame for my art class and a few local artists. Also, people have had my name passed onto them and they are calling on me.
So, its dilema time. Do I try and push on and make a go of it or do I stick and carry on just picking up a job or two while doing my own frames.
The main PROBLEM for me is I am disabled so this can never progress from a home base. A few years ago I had a brain tumour and I have been left without a balance system. So getting around is difficult and impossible in bad light.
I am thinking of getting the Morso F and also the Keencut Ultimat Gold (my matemate now has a slight bow in the base because of the damp problem I had in the garage, cheap MDF base) . I know they both have good resale value and that if things didnt take off they will always be there for doing my own frames.
The main question is being retired and having little money do I invest in this quality of items when it may not get very far? I mean how big a customer base can I expect working from home. I would be happy to earn back the money on the items and give me enough money to cover my stock and also fund my art (would be nice to earn from it though). That would make me very happy as it keeps me busy and my mind active. Your views and ideas are required as you are the people that know.
sarah

Post by sarah »

I'm sure the guys on here will be able to give you some food for thought :D

Unfortunately I can't give you any advice, we started at the deep end and have had no experince of developing from garage/hobby framing. I think the only thing I would consider would be location, being easy to find is always a handy thing for potential customers. :wink:

I'm sure that I speak for everyone in our little family of framers when I wish you all the very best with your venture regardless of your final decision.
:D
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Twist or Stick

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

Having taken up framing as a form of therapy after 2 spinal operations, I like you started in a shed, then moved into the dining room, then the spare bedroom, almost taking over the whole house, then fortunately my wife threw me out (trouble was she came with me) and we found our first high street premises.

We basically started in the deep end, but bought our larger machinery as we went along, and now we have 2 fully equipped workshops, and run a training school as well, not bad for a chap taking copious amounts of morhine (and other crap) daily just to get moving in the mornings and some to slow down in te evenings, eh?

My advice.....ring me (028) 9269 3807, and I will give you all the advice you need for starting as a disabled person. Just ask for Steven.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Twist or Stick

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Lyn,

Thanks for the call, good to talk to you and help you get sorted. Any other advice you need, dont hesitate to lift the phone and ask away. Always here to help!

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre