Page 1 of 2

Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Fri 29 Aug, 2008 8:44 pm
by Roboframer
Today, whilst taking an order I said (when I came to the 'name' bit ...)

"So - it's Mister ........?"

It was a woman!

I've probably had more embarrassing moments - but anyway - what's yours?

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:12 pm
by Jonny2morsos
What about the Miss, Mrs or Ms. conundrum?

Is it just us guys who have trouble with that one?

John.

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:37 pm
by Roboframer
Oh I've been there!

"So - it's Mrs ........?"

"IT'S NOT MRS ANYTHING - OR MISS - OR @@@@ing Ms - It's LIZ ************* (surname deleted - she's quite famous!!!)

Bloody feminists - trousers, job, the full package!

Next time she came in I let rip a prize-winning fart and wafted it to her face saying "Aaaaah - vintage"

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Sat 30 Aug, 2008 1:24 am
by prospero
Think ya hit a raw nerve there. :P

Wasn't Hurley was it?

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Sat 30 Aug, 2008 12:53 pm
by framejunkie
When i was a young pup working in a framers in west London i took an order from a very polite and a little tweedy middle-aged gent. Came to the personal details and I said -

"So its Mr..."

He replied "Lord"

"And what's your address Mr Lord."

"No. Its Lord Euston"

He was very good about it but that didn't stop me going purple.

I have been a wearer of long hair several times in my life, and even when i have about a weeks stubble i still get called madam by shop staff who haven't bothered to actually look at my face.

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Sat 30 Aug, 2008 3:20 pm
by Bill Henry
Last summer before I blew out my gut, I had lost almost thirty pounds – unintentionally and, at the time, inexplicably.

I had punched two additional holes in my belt and my clothes were getting just a bit baggy. My butt, which has never been big, shrunk, too.

While I was at the design counter with a customer, the weight of my wallet, keys, change and tape measure caused my stomach to lose its grip on my pants and they plummeted down below my knees.

Luckily, the customer was a guy, and I was wearing clean undies.

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 3:44 pm
by foxyframer
Always wise to wear clean undies, at all times.

Too many dollar bills in that wallet of yours Bill, jailors' keys and an American tape the size of a dinner plate! I've lost weight too.... it's all the tear-arseing about we do as framers.

I,ve fallen for the Mr. one moment and Sir. whatever the next. Some customers can get rather shirty over their elevated status. They hate the Mr. bit.

We too get our fair share of major and minor celebrites, TV mostly. They appreciate the recognition, but also the normal way they are treated in our gallery.

When asked, they give the full name; no Mr. Mrs. or Ms. I prefer it that way.

Foxy

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Mon 08 Sep, 2008 9:20 pm
by kev@frames
we get a few telly people in as well, i guess many are second home owneres round these parts. By and large all very nice people and appreciative of being treated "normally".
well i had this lady in, quite a well known telly presenter, and I couldn't help mentioning how much I had enjoyed a series she had just made, normally I wouldn't strike up such a conversation, as I guess they get as sick of talking about work as anyone else, but it really was good, so I thought I'd mention in passing how much i enjoyed it, by way of saying thanks.
Then I had to ask what her name was, because all my brainwater had run out. :head:

last week the wizard grabbed my shirt, dragged it in, and stopped. Leaving me stuck there, in front of the workshop window, until tom came back from one of his monumentally long "bathroom breaks", served the two customers who had appeared in the shop, and freed me :oops: I wish they put an emergebcy stop button on the 8000 :(

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Fri 12 Sep, 2008 3:41 pm
by The Jolly Good Framer #1
I have never had anyone remotely famous in my shop. :(

Here is a list of famous people who live near to me but have never been in my shop.

1 Delia Smith
2 Bill Wyman
3 Bill Treacher
4 Ian Lavender

That’s the extent of fame in mid-suffolk!

Was the Liz who Robo was talking about Liz Windsor maybe?

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 3:32 pm
by WelshFramer
There's a Windsor (first name Charles) who has a house near here. Hasn't dropped in for a frame yet. :(

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 10:15 pm
by Roboframer
Des Lynham & Cliff Richards have been in my shop - make that 'a shop of mine' - it was a bike shop, when we had one, in addition to this one - long story, which I have probably told anyway!

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Thu 08 Jan, 2009 6:19 pm
by Dermot
Famous: Paul McGuinness – U2 Manager, Niel Jordan – Film producer

Embarrassing: “When is the baby due”!!!!! ……..the girl has never spoken to me since ………..I see her a few times a week in the village……OUCH :head: :oops:

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Thu 08 Jan, 2009 7:12 pm
by Bill Henry
The Jolly Good Framer #1 wrote: Here is a list of famous people who live near to me but have never been in my shop.

1 Delia Smith
2 Bill Wyman
3 Bill Treacher
4 Ian Lavender

That’s the extent of fame in mid-suffolk!
Hold on, I just noticed your list.

Wasn’t Wm. Treacher, Blackbeard, the Pirate?

I think you’re making this up. :D

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Thu 08 Jan, 2009 7:42 pm
by prospero
Bill Henry wrote: Hold on, I just noticed your list.

Wasn’t Wm. Treacher, Blackbeard, the Pirate?

I think you’re making this up. :D

That Edward Teach you are thinking of there Bill. :D Bill Treacher played 'Arfer' Fowler in a UK soap called 'Eastenders', which I believe was screened in the US with subtitles. :lol: (yeravinalarfentya?)
As far as I know Bill Treacher never blundered the Spanish Main, in fact his character was a right miserable bleeder. :|


He's the non-blonde one

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Thu 08 Jan, 2009 8:05 pm
by The Jolly Good Framer #1
It was Bill Wyman who was the pirate. He was in that film Pirates of the Caribbean. Or was that Keith Richards? Oh I don’t know, and how should I he has never been in my shop for me to be able to ask him.

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Thu 08 Jan, 2009 8:29 pm
by Dermot
Keith Richards

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Thu 08 Jan, 2009 10:22 pm
by Bill Henry
prospero wrote: That Edward Teach you are thinking of there Bill. :D Bill Treacher played 'Arfer' Fowler in a UK soap called 'Eastenders', which I believe was screened in the US with subtitles. :lol: (yeravinalarfentya?)
As far as I know Bill Treacher never blundered the Spanish Main, in fact his character was a right miserable bleeder. :|
Oh, … well, … never mind!

Talk about your embarrassing moments! :oops:

On the other hand Eddie Teach probably never blundered into the BBC, either. :rock:

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Thu 08 Jan, 2009 10:40 pm
by prospero
can I help it if my keyboard is dxylesci? It's wicekd to mcok the alffitecd. :P

Isn't it soon time for national talk like a pirate day?

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Fri 09 Jan, 2009 1:35 am
by Moglet
kev@frames wrote:last week the wizard grabbed my shirt, dragged it in, and stopped. Leaving me stuck there, in front of the workshop window, until tom came back from one of his monumentally long "bathroom breaks", served the two customers who had appeared in the shop, and freed me :oops:
This has to get my "Best of the Backposts" Award, Kev! :clap:

Re: Embarrassing moments.

Posted: Fri 09 Jan, 2009 9:28 am
by raph.basan
talk like a pirate day..... september 19th aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh let it be every day !!! :clap: